AWD Sprinter announcement; expected in North America in early 2015

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Are you holding your breath yet Mike?
Ummm . . . Yeah. You do know your fellow inmates, my friend. :sombrero:

Not totally chomping at the bit, though, given that my so-called "interim" T1N is turning out really well. So it doesn't appear that I'll be suffering much while waiting--and I need to at least partially amortize the investment--so I'll probably hold off a while to see how it actually performs. All in all, you wouldn't be amiss to look for it in the signature line sometime in mid-2016.

cwm

Observer
From that video it does not look like there is very much flex or travel in the suspension.

Also I guess that in Europe the Stay The Trail guidelines that we have in America don't have to be followed. Unfortunately, if many people see a video like hat and just drive off the road or trail whenever they please we will just loose more trails and places to travel.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I am impressed with the drivier's willingness to 3-wheel the sprinter van... I do that in my pinzgauer but its designed to be flopped over... must not have been his van? I thought it was heading over at a couple of points.

Its too bad there wasn't some weight in the back for the tests - it would have then articulated the rear suspension more. An empty sprinter cargo van is really light in back - its rated to carry 3000+ lbs and so the springs are heavy. My sprinter is really easy to get stuck because of this - One wheel on the rear gets light and spins.

Funny how loud the abs brake traction control sounded - never had mine sound like that... but mine also doesn't seem to help that much either.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Looks like a great grocery getter on a snow covered road - not much else. What a disappointing suspension.
Let's keep this in perspective. It's a cargo van, meant, as mentioned, to carry 3K pounds of payload. Mercedes doesn't care about the articulation an off-roader might want to have, particularly if it came (as it probably would) at the cost of some highway stability. So while it may look like "a great grocery getter on a snow covered road," it's more appropriately viewed as a "great medium commercial cargo van for a snow covered road." But unlike a Ford chassis, there's no vast aftermarket of suspension parts to toss on, so people looking for a "wheeling" rig will likely give the Sprinter a pass. The 4WD will, however, be a useful addition for overlanders traveling on roads where snow or mud would cause a problem for a 2WD version.

That said, you can indeed throw enough money at a Sprinter to make an off-roader:

sprinters-wins-awardSmall.jpg

or even:

trucks_of_iceland_3.jpg

Also consider that a lot of the "fails" in the video were down to the tires, which weren't up to the mud and (couldn't tell) may not have been aired down enough, along with the light rear end. Regardless, though, the main point is the 4WD will make life significantly easier for people looking to use their Sprinters for overlanding, with little chance that the change will give good RTIs.

And now that I've said all of that . . . The video is titled "Sprinter 4x4 311CDI Test Offroad Allrad Iglhaut Low range," and given that Iglhaut is one of the top two well-known German aftermarket converters of Sprinters for off-road use--comparable, say, to Ujoint Off Road in this country--this van's setup probably wasn't factory and the performance may or may not be any indication of how the 2015 Mercedes setup will perform.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Let's keep this in perspective. It's a cargo van, meant, as mentioned, to carry 3K pounds of payload.
So is an E350 van. I own both and the Sprinter suspension is really bad - period. It has more to do with the lousy springs than anything else. I did build some custom rear FOX shocks for the back of a Sprinter and it made a huge improvement over the removed Koni adjustable shocks on any setting.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
So is an E350 van. I own both and the Sprinter suspension is really bad - period. It has more to do with the lousy springs than anything else.
You won't get any argument from me. However, a lot of a T1N's appalling ride can be fixed by swapping the cargo springs for the passenger springs. It's a night-and-day change, and while it doesn't make it any more off-road capable, it makes a lightly-loaded cargo van, especially with Konis, ride quite well, with none of the horrible crashing over bumps of the stock setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94