Cheap Used Forks

CorkOrangutan

So, I almost by accident I bought a "new" bike the other day. Its a Diamond Back Ascent. Obviously not the best bike ever made, but not bad being that I don't intend on doing anything big. Anyway, when I went to pick the bike up everything worked well, just needed a little fine adjusting, now its home and the front suspension forks decided they didn't want to suspend anymore. There is nothing there at all now, I was told the elastomers were bad by a friend, so I pull them out and they're all gooey.
So, now I need help, should I buy new elastomers for the forks (they're Answer Manitou Comps) for $50 or just buy some slightly better used forks? I paid all of $75 for the bike and cant give up now, but I don't want to spend a lot, so used and old is gonna be the way. Thanks for any help you can give, Its hard to find info on bikes that are slightly older like this.

austintaco

Explorer
Is this going to be a camp bike/easy trail kind of ride? I would look on ebay, CL, etc...even check your local bike shop for new take off forks. You just need something that works, not something high end, right? Just make sure the fork you buy has enough length to get you in your desired position and it's the right diameter.

CorkOrangutan

Yeah this bike is probably never going to get too much demand for performance. I go hiking a lot and many of the trails around here require a couple miles of dirt fire road to get to the trail head. All I need to know is if the forks I have are very decent, I cant find much on them and don't want to waste money rebuilding them if they're just gonna die again.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
It's a hard tail right? If so and it's going to be mostly light use. Just put some rigid forks on it. Suspension forks will need service annually or more and buying a cheap fork won't really fix anything but only postpone it. Manitou's aren't exactly great forks, for the most part stock forks are usually bottom line components unless your dropping big money on a bike. Check out pinkbike.com you can find some deals there..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles