Backcountry roads info for large vehicules

MIRIS

Since vehicles like the Earthroamer or the GXV are large and heavy, I wonder if informations exist relative to bridges capacity, road width and height clearance when traveling in backcountry roads in USA or Canada? If so, where can I find these informations? If not, bridges could be tricky or worse dangerous.

MIRIS

I don't think this GPS has the informations for the backcountry roads but it very useful for regular roads.

michaelvanpelt

Observer
Simple height gage

Since vehicles like the Earthroamer or the GXV are large and heavy, I wonder if informations exist relative to bridges capacity, road width and height clearance when traveling in backcountry roads in USA or Canada? If so, where can I find these informations? If not, bridges could be tricky or worse dangerous.

Most bridges are marked as to the weight and a simple antenna on the front bumper or cab cut at an inch or so above the highest point of the vehicle is a good inexpensive indicator of clearance.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Commercial vehicles can pay a fee (I forget how much) with each US states DOT to verify height / weight restrictions for a given route. Might be worth looking into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles