AdVenture trailer: 1952 Strick M-100

dcollier32

Adventurer
I don't know about you, but I have had pretty good luck with HF tools. I mean, 12.99 for a grinder and if it breaks you're only out what 14 bucks... I'm just saying, if you won't need a grinder after you're done with trailer, then what's the point of spending 40-50 bucks on one that you probably won't use again

Cheers, looking forward to seeing your progress :)

Chili

Explorer
Haha, I don't know how I would feel about a 12.99 HF grinder. :26_7_2:

Working on damn seized nuts right now and it's looking more like I'm going to wet blast it myself with some TSC Black Diamond in the next few days, if it's sunny.

I will gladly acknowledge that they sell a good amount of junk, but I have had that grinder for several years and it has done well. Of course, I'm not using it professionally, but I have found that for a hobbyist like me, it's more than sufficient. And if it breaks, I don't feel bad about throwing it out. :p

Chili

Explorer
I don't know about you, but I have had pretty good luck with HF tools. I mean, 12.99 for a grinder and if it breaks you're only out what 14 bucks... I'm just saying, if you won't need a grinder after you're done with trailer, then what's the point of spending 40-50 bucks on one that you probably won't use again

Cheers, looking forward to seeing your progress :)

I have had a few flops, but they were usually incredibly cheap items to begin with.

For example, I picked up 8 or 10 of these for like a buck a piece on "sale". The orange handle broke off on the first squeeze on over half of them. The only reason they didn't all break was because I barely put any pressure on them at all after the first couple. And believe you me, I do not possess hulk strength or anything. :eek:

This pruner lasted about 1/2 a day before falling apart.

The blade on this lopper started to bend after a few uses. I was able to bend it back in place and get another dozen uses out of it before one of the handles bent in half.

That said, I probably have 15 - 20 other items I have bought there that have always worked great. Power tools, hand tools, etc.

I'm sure that even with the flops, I have come out way ahead overall.

Some of my best buys were their ball joint service kit, AC Manifold Guages (got those for a steal), Files, Punches and various wrench sets.

Last edited:

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I will gladly acknowledge that they sell a good amount of junk, but I have had that grinder for several years and it has done well. Of course, I'm not using it professionally, but I have found that for a hobbyist like me, it's more than sufficient. And if it breaks, I don't feel bad about throwing it out. :p

Here is a link to the military manual for your M100. http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m100-m115.pdf

The M100 is getting rarer and rarer. Keep any military bits you take off in case you want to restore it later.

Cheers

I suppose at 14 bucks it's worth it. I'll pick one up this weekend and give it a try.

Thanks Steve, I had the 416 manual I think having a second one of these is good. Maybe my office will donate some ink and toner and I can keep a physical copy...
I plan on keeping it respectful of the era and not doing too much to alter the original piece but also plan on some work pretty much just how Box Rocket did his trailer
I love the strut idea and will take his build as one of my 2-3 which I am molding after.

I was able to get the bearing caps off but got a lug [still] stuck to the nut on the wheel.
Bearings look good but a PO must have used a chisel to remove the large hex on BOTH wheels.
I may take a hammer to it and see if I can bend back each side that is warped and hopefully find a tool to remove the bearing assembly and grease and repack next week.

WD-40 anti seize worked wonders, glad I picked some of that up from Lowes today for just under 7 bucks.
It's a PITA to try and get this old wiring out but it'll happen soon enough. So much paint covering some parts.

Got some photos but will have to post those later.

SteveJ

Just curious, Were the lugnuts different thread on each side of your trailer L/H one side R/H other. My willys jeep is like that and so is my M100. The center of each wheel stud is stamped L/H or R/H. If I take it to the shop I always have to remind them or they put the impact on and twist the stud off.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Just curious, Were the lugnuts different thread on each side of your trailer L/H one side R/H other. My willys jeep is like that and so is my M100. The center of each wheel stud is stamped L/H or R/H. If I take it to the shop I always have to remind them or they put the impact on and twist the stud off.

I read that is the case of Factory units, but in field some trailers l/h wheels were swapped in a hurry by their users.
I haven't checked yet if mine are stamped. Good to know!

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Slacking on this lately. Just can't fathom paying 250-650 for sandblasting.
I need the sun to cooperate for just one weekend and ill DIY the rust bucket

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Damn lugnuts are rusted on the wheel housing so well I can't get them off.

I was able to start on the bearing assembly and got the nuts and washers out but can't get the bearings out yet.

Gotta love people bending the washers with a chisel....

Set a date this thing is to be rolling and useful...

Overland Expo East!!!

tick tock!

You might have been on the side of the trailer that has reverse threads? M100's have those. Had to torch lug nuts off on mine and replaced them with standard threads. The bent washer is to keep the jamb nut from backing out. Just pry it up and be sure to bend it back when you reassemble. It does seem kinda crude. I have changed over to the X-lock d44 replacement. It is better engineered but what you have now works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
You might have been on the side of the trailer that has reverse threads? M100's have those. Had to torch lug nuts off on mine and replaced them with standard threads. The bent washer is to keep the jamb nut from backing out. Just pry it up and be sure to bend it back when you reassemble. It does seem kinda crude. I have changed over to the X-lock d44 replacement. It is better engineered but what you have now works just fine.

I was aware of this, but was hoping the wheels haven't been replaced and this wasn't the case.
Had some wd40 inhibitor but no luck so far.

Still compiling parts for the brakehousing/bearing rebuild...

Nice find, you GA boys seem to have them things hidden all over the place lol.

We do love our 4th of July and War reenactments and parades down here. :gunt:

I just found some really bad grease but after cleaning and re packing it was just fine. Even my brakes were good and work well. Do you have it apart to inspect bearings?

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I just found some really bad grease but after cleaning and re packing it was just fine. Even my brakes were good and work well. Do you have it apart to inspect bearings?

ahhhh I had a long explanation typed out and the page refreshed!!!
And the other photos wont load now...

nutshell version: not completely taken down, but I am working on getting the bearings out from the passenger side currently.

Had a HUGE help from Robert over on "G" forum and he had a M100/Bantam in bad shape we were able to cannibalize the tie downs from and get them introduced to the bench grinder.
My Trailer was missing a few of them.

The doner:
12.jpg
CameraZOOM-20140705151957371.jpg
You can see the before and after of a couple of them.
CameraZOOM-20140705151951874.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles