AdVenture trailer: 1952 Strick M-100

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
After weekend after weekend of trying to find the Unicorn of a fiberglass body off an old service truck, I finally gave up, for now...
I love this design build but I kept finding full size truck bodies and just can't imagine that weight....
I meandered over to the military style trailers for sale on Craigslist (This link is actually better) and, :Wow1:Holy $hit I actually found one!!!

I called and emailed and this baby was mine the next day (not too bad for a little over an hour drive one way):
10002979_10154095652115413_678276879_n.jpg

It has some TLC needed but in fairly great shape. Appears original down to the wiring and tires and tags.
Paid $550 for it plus threw the guy $50 for letting me borrow his trailer for 2 days to get it home.

Enlisting some help unloading and now she waits until the morning when the build officially begins....:wings:

Edit: Updates soon: had quite a year wrestling with rust and lack of tools and life events/traveling

Last edited:

dcollier32

Adventurer
After weekend after weekend of trying to find the Unicorn of a fiberglass body off an old service truck, I finally gave up, for now. I love this design build but I kept finding full size truck bodies and just can't imagine that weight....
I meandered over to the military style trailers for sale on Craigslist and, :Wow1:Holy $hit I found one!!!

I called and emailed and this baby was mine the next day:
10002979_10154095652115413_678276879_n.jpg

It has some TLC needed but in fairly great shape. Appears original down to the wiring and tires.
Paid $550 for it plus threw the guy $50 for letting me borrow his trailer for 2 days to get it home.

Enlisting some help unloading and now she waits until the morning when the build officially begins....:wings:

You know, I seen that trailer on craigslist on Friday and thought for a minute about giving up my build, and going the same route everyone else is doing... kudos to you for getting it for a good deal

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I plan to. document whatever I can. I've been going all over the place with where I want to take the build, I can't decide.
I want to pay homage to the history but I don't think the "standard build" that most people do will work for me.

So expect to see something slightly different I hope. :)

dcollier32

Adventurer
If I were to build one, I would make or modify one of those canvas camper tops for pick-ups to put on it. I would use it kinda like a truck bed camper setup (the cot under a camper shell, is what I'm talking about)... But that's me, not you. Looking forward to seeing progress

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Spent this afternoon working on taking apart the trailer to prep for blasting. Got some done, slow progress.
Working on finding a place and haul it over this weekend hopefully.

The PO welded on some "additions" which now appear to get in the way of me removing the fenders and some wiring.
Might be in the market for a grinder soon...
Also I think it was used by a school system previously, the entire thing was coated in School Bus Yellow.
A slight blue spray was done, but the yellow shines through.

Gotta start the parts list for this week:
3 grab handles
2 tie down hooks
Wiring harness for the Tacoma 7blade (I'll remove and store the original harness, it's got some weight to it)
LED bulbs for rear lights and new harness

I'm working on finding a solution for a [DIY] sliding top, as opposed to the lift gas piston cap/top.
I have a RTT and kayaks to haul and don't like the flip lid idea.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Yeah not too bad. The owner built a few up in the past and owned a few old Jeeps. One of the nicest guys I've met in a while.
We just kinda talked a while about trailers and the history and was an all around good guy.

I returned the trailer the following day and he told me he had another 7.00x16 Jeep wheel and tire to give me!

Gotta love it. Esp when seeing what these things go for on the refurb market. Plan on it being a spare for now, until 3 new tires are purchased.

I'll upload some photos tonight once I figure out how to wire the tail lights for LED. ( the uploading isnt working for me now)
I'm going to just remove and store the original wiring harness and wire for a 7blade for the back of the Tacoma.

Time to go outside!

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Apparently everyone that does media blasting now charges an arm and a leg, plus your soul.

Any place in GA that is a reasonable price?

flyfisheraa573

The funny thing about this...I live about an hour to 1 1/2 hours south of you two GA boys...I'd been looking for months...nary a one came up for under $850 or so (that I saw), so I decided to give up the search and go a different route...I do that, and look what pops up...congrats man! Great find and buy!

Congrats and great find. You might be able to sell the pre-fab tall top to someone who might want a top...probably fits M-100s and Bantams.

For those of you still looking...there's a Swiss Military trailer outside of Atlanta right now on Craigslist: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/4358085657.html Comes complete with stakes, tarp, pintle, etc. But a bit steep at $900. Go to Craigslist Atlanta and search "military" to find it.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Have you checked with these guys?

-Andy

Yeah, first guys I called. Said they were so back logged with powder coating he couldn't do it anytime soon.

I used searchtempist.com when I got serious.

It searches craigslist, ebay, amazon and some others all at once.
I was looking daily for months....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles