Is There a Need For Trailer Plans?

HavenInTheHills

Power Wheels Pilot
I am a new member on this forum. I have been browsing for a long while, contemplating my decision to build an adventure trailer. I have seen a lot of great trailers on here and I can tell there is an immense amount of talent lurking about on this forum. One thing that I am wondering however, is if there is a desire among the ranks for a set of plans to build a simple and effective offroad box/roof top tent style trailer. When I was 19 and unable to afford a welder or other fab tools, I built a teardrop trailer using plans I found on the internet. The trailer was wood construction, skinned in aluminum and based on a HF trailer kit. These plans were a huge help to me, with projects like this just being a hobby at the time. Having gained a lot of experience in fabrication, I have now designed my next trailer project and plan on starting on it in about 2 months after I sell my cab-over. I will post a full build thread with tons of pictures as I build this next trailer but if there is a need for something like this, I am contemplating creating a full set of CAD plans for it. This will be a very simple to build trailer, the tub being about 40" wide x 72" long and 24" tall, all square tube construction, almost all 90 degree cuts, leaf sprung and aside from the trailer's tub and frame, all parts will be readily available online. The trailer will be based on a Jeep TJ's track width, but by simply modifying the axle width and fender width, could be adapted to match a wide range of vehicles. This trailer will require welding but I feel the plans will be able to save people a huge amount of time by providing a pre designed guide, and taking away the ambiguity of what size steel to use, which wall thickness will be enough and so on. The parts sources will also allow people to accurately price the cost of building the trailer so they know exactly how much they will be investing in a project like this before they get started. Anyways, feel free to leave me your feedback and ask any questions you may have. For now I will leave you with a couple pictures of my old teardrop and Jeep and my current Rubicon. -Donn :costumed-smiley-007

dcollier32

Adventurer
I am a new member on this forum. I have been browsing for a long while, contemplating my decision to build an adventure trailer. I have seen a lot of great trailers on here and I can tell there is an immense amount of talent lurking about on this forum. One thing that I am wondering however, is if there is a desire among the ranks for a set of plans to build a simple and effective offroad box/roof top tent style trailer. When I was 19 and unable to afford a welder or other fab tools, I built a teardrop trailer using plans I found on the internet. The trailer was wood construction, skinned in aluminum and based on a HF trailer kit. These plans were a huge help to me, with projects like this just being a hobby at the time. Having gained a lot of experience in fabrication, I have now designed my next trailer project and plan on starting on it in about 2 months after I sell my cab-over. I will post a full build thread with tons of pictures as I build this next trailer but if there is a need for something like this, I am contemplating creating a full set of CAD plans for it. This will be a very simple to build trailer, the tub being about 40" wide x 72" long and 24" tall, all square tube construction, almost all 90 degree cuts, leaf sprung and aside from the trailer's tub and frame, all parts will be readily available online. The trailer will be based on a Jeep TJ's track width, but by simply modifying the axle width and fender width, could be adapted to match a wide range of vehicles. This trailer will require welding but I feel the plans will be able to save people a huge amount of time by providing a pre designed guide, and taking away the ambiguity of what size steel to use, which wall thickness will be enough and so on. The parts sources will also allow people to accurately price the cost of building the trailer so they know exactly how much they will be investing in a project like this before they get started. Anyways, feel free to leave me your feedback and ask any questions you may have. For now I will leave you with a couple pictures of my old teardrop and Jeep and my current Rubicon. -Donn :costumed-smiley-007

Awesome shot...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior