Recently purchased E-350 7.3 leaking diesel

Theironpusher

Hey everyone, I'm really excited to have recently purchased what is going to become my "freedom machine" from another member (meca58.) We have already been on one adventure- just getting her back to Cleveland from New Hampshire and although I didn't sleep in the cabin yet she's hauled snowboarding gear and brought me through 5 states. In 2015 I'm hoping be living in the van full time as I make my way across North America biking, snowboarding, climbing and exploring as much as possible.

One slight issue that I noticed on the way hime yesterday is that I seem to be leaking a fair amount of diesel and I can't figure out from where. I pulled off the dog house today and it really didn't reveal much. The drivers side valve cover is a little shiny (wet) but I think it's just some years of oil residue and I could not smell diesel in the mix. I notice a lot coming down the same side of the transmission towards the top of the bell housing. It seems to only leak when she's running and there will be a small pool if I leave it in the same spot at idle. The fuel filter did not seem loose but that's pretty soaked too. I'll provide some pictures to see if anyone notices somthing I'm not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 15

89s rule

Adventurer
What year is the van? There is a drain port/hole in the back of the V of the block that can make it hard to track down a fuel leak if its from the V of the engine. Different years have different setups so that is why I asked about the year.

89s rule

Adventurer
I would rebuild the fuel bowl, while you are in that deep I would also replace all fuel lines (ford lines were recommended to me but a local diesel mechanic, they were ~ $5 each for my application). I am still in process of this, but I went ahead and replaced my valve cover gaskets, inner harnesses, glow plugs, GP relay, and Turbo pedestal orings. (Check my build thread for some details/pictures.)

If you have the time and mechanical ability I would go ahead and do as much as you can while you are in there and have it torn down. I think '96 is the switch to the Electric Fuel pump? If so it would be a little different from mine, but the fuel bowl is a common place for leaks. My fuel bowl was full of crap I probably got 1 or 2 tablespoons of crap out of it. Although my fuel filter was fairly clean, I think the PO swapped the filter trying to "fix" an issue but what really needed to be done was the bowl taken out and cleaned.

Feel free to ask any questions about it, its not too bad of a job, just take your time and organize everything when you pull it off.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Recently I had the same problem on my 1997 E350. I pulled the resonator off the top of the engine figuring I was going to pull the whole bowl off and rebuild it, but found it was a leaking fuel switch on the drivers side of the fuel bowl. I would take a look at that as it is a pretty easy fix, when the engine was running I could watch it dripping from inside van. It is a dealer part cost me about $45. I also left the resonator off and plugged the hole on intake hose.
Good Luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94