Next build, need some advice - Flipac or topper/shell or trailer?

Explorer
My current overland truck is an 01 tacoma reg cab with a rack and eezi-awn 1400 ttop. This has worked well for me, but the family has now reached numero four, and the seating only accomodates 3.

The next platform is purchased, a 2011 4door tacoma short bed, so seating is no longer a problem, but I'm torn between two of four build options.

1.Ground tent is out (wifes orders, she's spoiled now).

2. Trailer is not likely - totally practical, many advantages, but I love driving and I hate the "ball and chain" feeling of tugging a trailer. I understand that a trailer allows for a better driving experience once you unshackle the pig and then have a vehicle without cargo, but it will take a lot to convince me to drag a trailer.

3. Snugpro or A.R.E. topper or shell with my current RTT. The kids are still small so they can fit and when they get older they can move into cots down below in the annex. With this setup I would have a drawer system in the bed, shelving on one side with windoors and probably a rear swingout. I like this plan because I can move the tent between trucks if wanted, and the 2011 tacoma can be just a truck and topper when not on trips. The wife likes the look of this and it's the truck she typically drives (again, spoiled)

4. Flippac. It's the thing holding me up, the topper idea is going head to head with this. I like the flippac, and so does the wife, but it's a more drastic addition to the truck, and the wife is less thrilled about its permanent and bulky/odd characteristics when not in use.

At this point its a matter of pros vs. cons on the flippac. We haven't seen a flippac in person, and we know the RTT life well.

I'm hoping to get some better insight and advice from people that have setup a rig for 2+2, the kids are 6 and 4mo's. I would also like to hear from people that have used a flippac. I really appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Rexsname

Explorer
I own a Flippac and have some experience with the Ezi Awn Rtts. The Flippac can be open and occupied in about 2 minutes, 4 if you need to use the rain fly. On my best day I would still be dealing with the cover of the roof top tent at the end of those same 2 minutes. The Flippac will make a small difference on the fuel mileage while a RTT on top of a regular topper will make a larger difference.

I like the way the Flippac looks, you may not. It works for us, we love it.

REX

Explorer
I own a Flippac and have some experience with the Ezi Awn Rtts. The Flippac can be open and occupied in about 2 minutes, 4 if you need to use the rain fly. On my best day I would still be dealing with the cover of the roof top tent at the end of those same 2 minutes. The Flippac will make a small difference on the fuel mileage while a RTT on top of a regular topper will make a larger difference.

I like the way the Flippac looks, you may not. It works for us, we love it.

REX

Very good point about the fuel mileage Rex, thanks! Nice setup! After looking at the interior setup of various flippacs, I think we are sold on it.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
We have had a big drink of the Flippac "cool-aid". I researched RTT a lot and if you are comparing the closest "apples-to-apples" (Flipppac vs RTT with annex) the biggest difference really is the set-up time. Rex nailed it. None of the 8 spring rods to hold up window "awnings". No tie-ing up covers, flaps, doors, etc.2-4 minutes vs 15-20+. The only other factor than drag/mpg is ALL the weight of a RTT is on top of the roof (duh!). Whereas a Flippac distributes it's weight vertically from the bed rails to the top of the shell. So the overall CG is lower.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I wanted to put in a plug for the trailer approach.

You're going to have a lot of people and cargo in one vehicle, and I actually find pulling a trailer to be more enjoyable on the road than to have everything in/on the truck. It helps keep the COG of the truck much lower. You have plenty of engine there but the weight (and likely some up high) can make the truck feel pretty clumsy and ungainly. A trailer lets you keep the truck lighter and makes for much nicer driving, especially in the bendy stretches. I know with my all-in-one camper on the truck combo, the (lack of) cornering ability is usually my limiting factor in the mountains (even with the 2.4L). It was much more of a canyon carver when I used to pull a compact tent trailer and had most of the gear in it.

Although a trailer has some disadvantages (license plate registration, storage, extra maintenance items), if you have the place to keep one, it's pretty nice to have it be almost ready to go without having the truck full of gear all the time. Then you can just hitch up the trailer, add a few more things and go.

It is also nice to be able to leave the trailer in the campsite. It enables more independence with the vehicle without disrupting the campsite accommodations. And with your short bed, you're more limited in space with a shell or flip-pac...it might be too small a living space for that many people. A trailer expands your real estate!

Last edited:

Explorer
Really great points guys, I appreciate it a lot.

The setup of a flip pac does seem appealing, I don't mind my RTT now, but it's on a rack, sitting below the roof. I'm not a tall guy, so if it were on a topper it would be more difficult for sure. I keep my annex walls attached, so my setup time and tear down time is much faster, but not as fast or hassle free as a flippac. Its more an effort vs. time issue I believe.

One thing I would miss about the RTT is the ground level annex. Its not a huge area, but certainly more floor area than a flippac with most of the floor space occupied by fridge, drawers, etc. Not a huge deal, and I imagine the awning that Rex has would make up for that.

The trailer idea makes a bunch of sense, I can't argue with the logic but at the same time it is the least appealing to me. I've spent a fair amount of time pulling trailers for work activities, and I'm never completely comfortable with it. In just a truck I can feel what each tire is doing without any concious effort, with a trailer I am always thinking about it, and I would rather not. Some people have a gift for operating equipment, some don't, I'm in the don't group when it comes to trailers.

My brother and I are a year apart, and he couldn't find my dust trail on a motorcycle if I was half asleep and going slow for him to catch up, but put him in a semi with doubles and he could drive backwards through a maze. The trailer design is the most practical, I just don't ser myself doing it. 99% sure of putting in a flip pac order in the next few weeks.

thanks again for the replies, I've swayed from the topper to the flippac since starting this thread.

dman93

Adventurer
I recently bought my first pickup in 20 years (owned them for 12 years before) and really enjoyed the unencumbered feel driving it around. Then I picked up a cheap FlipPac and immediately questioned the choice. It's big and ugly. But honestly, after a few weeks I don't even notice it's there. And the same height and boxiness that makes it ugly also seem to offer much more usable room than a cab-high shell.

dman93 - '97 T100

Explorer
I recently bought my first pickup in 20 years (owned them for 12 years before) and really enjoyed the unencumbered feel driving it around. Then I picked up a cheap FlipPac and immediately questioned the choice. It's big and ugly. But honestly, after a few weeks I don't even notice it's there. And the same height and boxiness that makes it ugly also seem to offer much more usable room than a cab-high shell.

dman93 - '97 T100

That is encouraging!

Athansinis

dman93 - '97 T100

Would love to see some photos of your FlipPac on your T100. I'm hoping to get one for my T100, but I haven't actually seen one on a T100 yet. Take care!

*edit* apparently I wanted to see how many times I could write T100 in less than one line.

austintaco

Explorer
Another option, or variable, might be a ground tent that attaches to a regular shell.

That was the system we had prior to the flippac. With two adults and two growing kids, you might find that this with a flippac will give you the space you need. The company, Sportz tent makes different models, and they have a quicker deploying model out now as well. I picked this one up for less than $200, if I remember, on ebay, back in 09. I think we set it up, out of the box, for the first time ever, at midnight in Big Bend, so it wasn't that bad.

dman93

Adventurer
Mine came with the zero-cost-optional broken torsion bar, so it's never been flipped. Still undecided on whether to invest the dollars in the parts (need a crank handle also). Taking it on its maiden camping trip tomorrow. Anyway, here is the un-Flipped-Pac on my T100:
IMG_3044.jpg

Ultralite

Adventurer
Just let me confirm your resistance to a trailer. What a pain.

It's great that your wife will go at all (I see so many threads with guys trying to talk their wives into it) but keep in mind that every notch up on the luxury ladder, the ladies tend not to go back to the rustic camping they did before.

I have 2 kids that have now reached the early teen years and space is becoming an issue. I'm considering a Flippac which I think could serve your needs as you approach the phase we're in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles