'98 Montero, intake manifold questions

fishon1213

Observer
I am elbow deep in the Monty and have some questions.

First off its a '98 Gen 2.5 Montero with a 3.5. I am replacing plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, ect. I am doing well and getting ready to button her back up, just have a few questions....

1. Torque specs for vavle cover?
2. Torque specs for lower intake manifold?
3. Sealant??? The new valve cover gaskets are thick rubber like what came off, looks like they will be fine without sealant. The lower intake gasket that came off was a paper gasket, the new one is a thin metal gasket. What do you all recommend as far as sealant goes.

Thanks, Al

nckwltn

Explorer
you will find all the torque specs you could ever want here: http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/

I didn't use any sealant on the lower intake or valve cover. perhaps just some oil on the valve cover to help it make good contact. I feel like I remember it leaking a bit for the first few hours I ran the engine, but it stopped. I may have tightened up the VC bolts a little bit more to get it to stop, but I don't remember. Just go with the torque spec and call it good.

Clem

Adventurer
Download the service manual when you have a chance to check for your self...http://mitsubishilinks.com/

1. Rocker Cover 2-3 ft lbs (pg 11A-28 of FSM)
2. Intake manifold 16 ft lbs - intake upper manifold 13 ft lbs - air intake fitting 13 ft lbs
3. Sealant appears to only be mentioned for sensors and the oil pan

HTH,

Clem

Jay Ayala

Explorer
2. Torque specs for lower intake manifold?

Guys, I'm not familiar with the 3.5 but is he talking about the Intake Plenum->Intake Manifold gasket? He mentioned it was a thin metal gasket. The 3.0L engine has that thin metal gasket between the Intake Plenum and the Intake Manifold. You can see it in this picture from one of my other threads. The 3.0L engine has the torque speced at 14 lbs/ft.

1782090_10202534965449850_524928890_n.jpg

fishon1213

Observer
Thank you all for the links and advice. The gasket I was really unsure about is the one between the intake plenum/intake manifold, similar to the one pictured above. I have never used a thin metal gasket like this before, and was just not sure how it would seal. Are the metal gaskets preferred over the paper or cork?

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I've always used these thin metal gaskets in all of my overhauls. It comes as part of Felpro's full engine gasket sets. No, I've never added sealant to this particular gasket. I have never had any negative experiences without it. I guess sealant isn't necessary but don't see anything wrong with it either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jlocster

Explorer
No sealant on the metal intake plenum gasket is necessary.

Some do put sealant on the lower corners of the valve cover gaskets...FSM doesn't specify sealant but the VCG have a tendency to leak, so some do anyway. I didn't use any sealant a year ago when I did my VCG but wish I would've because they're leaking slightly again.

Also, make sure the gasket flange of the valve covers is in plane with the cylinder heads' gasket mounting surface. Often the valve covers get torqued down too hard because they're leaking and it bends the gasket flange of the valve covers, especially around the fastener holes, which will cause an oil leak even with a new gasket. If the valve cover gasket flange is bent, flatten it out as best as possible before reinstalling with a new gasket.

Last edited:

fishon1213

Observer
Alright. Thanks again for the help everyone. I got it all buttoned back up and running well. I did not use any sealant.

Before the truck had a pretty bad misfire and a burning oil smell from the valve cover gaskets and cylinder head O rings leaking. It runs much better now but the burning oil smell will probably take a while to go away. Thanks again and now onto the timing belt :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles