LR3 Rear Diff Help

Ray_G

Explorer
Hey there. i have a 2005 LR3 with 88k miles. Bought it in Arizona and drove it back to Florida almost 2 years ago. The vehicle saw it's share of desert terrain as it was intended. It was my mother's car and she kept good care of it. Started by hearing clunking making left turns. Now it has gotten worse. I have had several people, some mechanics, tell me about the rear diffs. Looks like you may be a source for rebuilds? Wondering if that was still available as I feel buying a used one may give me the same problems.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Greg

Clunking noise while turning left, and folks are telling you about the rear dif?

Start with the far more likely scenario-you need to replace your front LCAs, as the bushings are gone. This is normal at that mileage given the weight of the truck.
r-
Ray

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I had the same symptoms on my 2009 LR3. Clutch packs failed in the locking rear differential. I had the dealer replace it with a new OEM part and everything is fine now. Not an inexpensive repair.

My noise was surely LCA and also the broken sway bar link. I also found the wheel bearing popping when on the lift. I suggest getting it off the ground and starting in suspension first before diving into a diff. As Ray said, at that mileage, you are due for suspension. Not saying it's not your diff, just saying its more likely that you have suspension issues or CV axle worn from worn suspension/steering components and probably a better place to start.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Little history. Bought 2007 LR3 about a year ago had approximately 60k on it. It showed up with a seized electronic parking break system, which the seller paid for replacement. Lowers were replaced prior to purchase.

Since then the car has also had a few more issues.

1. Car darting around with some clunking. We replaced the uppers. A few alignments and driving much better, but still clunking.

2. Since then and getting worse the car is still is experiencing clunking which sounds like its occuring in the rear. Only makes noise when accelerating and turning. The other day when my wife was backing out the car lost driving power. Shut down and restarted everything was fine.

My indy shop has had some trouble trying to replicate the sound until last week on a lift. They are pretty sure that the clunking is a result of a faulty rear diff (which is a known issue with this vehicle). I have read a lot on this over the last couple days and some threads reference clunking, but many reference whining and grinding sounds.

A new rear diff for a locking LR3 runs about 3k-3,800k! A freaking lot!

So if you have experience with this issue please let me know of a cost effective solution…

Looking for a solid rebuild, used rear diff or rebuild options.

A diff rebuild is a diff rebuild. You should be able to have a shop do it for under $1,000 or around there. It's not a land rover only issue as well. I've had to do it on 3 jeeps and a E46 BMW 3 series. Seems to cost about the same across the board.

Do you need to take it to an indy mechanic? IMO no its just basic moving parts and you may want to take it to an off road shop.. I find their work to be a notch above regular shops and a notch below Indy but closer to regular shop prices.

My method lately is to hire a decent mobile mechanic. The costs are much much lower but I also know i'll be home when he shows up and lend a hand at any point during the repair if needed he wants it(but not hover). I also have the part on hand. The savings can be huge if done this way.

Last edited:
Of MrWesson’s recommendations? Good off-road shops do great work IMO. Not sure if it’s a locking factory Diff or not but if you plan to rebuild it, good time for an ARB locker install in which case the shop can do all for you.

The ORW shops in SoCal are pretty good and they all have race trucks. Not endorsing ORW in any way, just saying they do good work where I’m from, a bit expensive but warranty their work and still cheaper than LR and probably better in the end.

Or find a low mile salvage diff, change the fluids and run it.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Just noticed I never followed up on this thread. I did get the rear diff rebuild kit from Unseenone and did the rebuild myself. Was not terribly difficult if you know how to take apart a diff and reassemble them.
Some images of my diff, the fluid was shockproof from redline, I put it in hoping it might help prolong the diff before I had to rebuild it, but alas had no effect. I believe the damage was already done prior to me picking it up. I have switched back to factory fluid.
ECC1248C-EF3B-4293-8E9B-6D0164580648.jpg
You can see the worn race:
8E0F4039-53C9-4235-93B6-49D05F289EBC.jpg
The culprit of of my noise:
D3AF4555-A001-462A-A4A3-7CEE68C77A55.jpg
Inside of the case. You can see the coating has come off over the years.
607B1DA0-DC10-47FB-86DA-7F7BE4C30909.jpg

Gone about 8k miles since the rebuild and it is still flawless. I bought the front kit and plan to rebuild that this winter even though it’s not making noise. Both output seals are seeping so better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

js632

Just noticed I never followed up on this thread. I did get the rear diff rebuild kit from Unseenone and did the rebuild myself. Was not terribly difficult if you know how to take apart a diff and reassemble them.
Some images of my diff, the fluid was shockproof from redline, I put it in hoping it might help prolong the diff before I had to rebuild it, but alas had no effect. I believe the damage was already done prior to me picking it up. I have switched back to factory fluid.
210EDA6A-4F9E-4CC7-8BE9-260498EF6A56.jpg

BA19F6F9-A44E-49F8-B6A3-552ECB174E85.jpg

The culprit of my noise
77D46109-BB27-44CE-9136-BB2EB2F5FCDB.jpg

55678230-09A4-481F-8D62-F918390ADB82.jpg

Gone about 8k miles since the rebuild and it is still flawless. I bought the front kit and plan to rebuild that this winter even though it’s not making noise. Both output seals are seeping so better safe than sorry.

None of your pics seem to be showing up?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
View attachment 428839
View attachment 428840
The culprit of of my noise:
View attachment 428841
View attachment 428842

Did you get away without doing the pinion bearing?

ColoDisco

Explorer
I did the pinion bearing, used the spacers that came in the diff originally and skipped the crush sleeve as I did not feel it necessary. Tightened the pinion via impact until it felt right. So far working really well.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I did the pinion bearing, used the spacers that came in the diff originally and skipped the crush sleeve as I did not feel it necessary. Tightened the pinion via impact until it felt right. So far working really well.

If this works long term that's really rad :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles