Astro interest... which vintage do you prefer?

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'v been considering an AWD Astro for some time nowadays, and I'm curious from owners on the pro's and con's of the early vs late models.

Does one vintage lend itself to modifications better, is the later version 4.3L considered a better choice?

I do prefer the later body style but could live with an earlier version, and actually found one I have some interest in.

I'm getting a lil long in the tooth, have some injuries that are making my time in the woods less enjoyable. Looking to possibly get away from the Jeep and RTT and into either a small popup or a van. I looked a bit for a similar thread but hadn't come across it..

digitaldelay

Explorer
2003 thru 2005 use 16" wheels and bigger brakes. All my vans ('92, '94, '97, '98) have been prone to rotor warp after heavy braking.

'99+ went to an electronic transfer case. No experience with these, but I can tell you the older mechanical TC is unbelievably good in snow and mud.

I much prefer the '95+ front clip.

Try and find a 3.73 geared AWD. The 3.42 is a little sluggish with the extra 500lb. AWD system, especially when towing.

Jason

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Having had a '97 GenII ('97-'02) and '04 GenIII ('03-'05), I believe the late model upgrades listed below are worthy enough that I would consider those years first.

2003-2005:

Larger front brakes - discs, calipers, pads and rear disc brakes which is a huge improvement in performance, longevity and less maintenance. 16x7 six lug wheel/hub upgrade to fit over larger brakes.

LU3 "X" Engine with multi-port fuel injection (MFI, MPFI) which is more reliable than the the previous central port injection (CPI). Some 2002 models also had the "X" engine. EGR delete which removed the sometimes problematic system.

Digitalday covered the transfer cases and while I haven't used my '04 much in snow, the Borg Warner unit was a powerhouse in the snow. I've never had traction issues with the NV136 part-time electronic transfer case and G80 option rear locking differential.

If you're searching VINs for RPO codes, I believe both G80 (rear locking diff) and GT4 (3.73 gears) were included with the Z82 tow package (along with Class III 5k hitch and associated wiring).

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You can spend a lot of time worrying about configurations and RPO options, but ultimately, I think the biggest factor is going to be condition and mileage. Remember that the very newest Astro you can buy now is going to be 9 years old already.

Obviously if you're wanting AWD or 4WD, start with an AWD van, but after that I'd focus on getting the least-used example I could find. Everything after that is stuff there's a good chance you'll have to change at some point anyway. (i.e. why worry about finding a relatively rare van with the 3.73 gears if you're dead-set on 31" tires - 'cause you'll probably end up re-gearing to 4.11's anyhow)

I painted myself into a corner when I got started because I'd convinced myself I just HAD to have rear heat and AC. The rear AC is nice, I'm getting ready to delete the rear heater. :rolleyes: I even passed up one or two vans that already had the NP231 transfer-case swap and re-gearing I wanted, because I thought interior fit-out was more important. (One was a cargo van, IIRC) In retrospect, it would have been cheaper and faster to just re-do the interior or pay to add RV windows versus finding a "virgin" passenger van and starting fresh.

The one thing I did right was to find a REALLY low mileage example. I've still only got 67k on mine...

Stroverlander

Adventurer
You can spend a lot of time worrying about configurations and RPO options, but ultimately, I think the biggest factor is going to be condition and mileage. Remember that the very newest Astro you can buy now is going to be 9 years old already.

Obviously if you're wanting AWD or 4WD, start with an AWD van, but after that I'd focus on getting the least-used example I could find. Everything after that is stuff there's a good chance you'll have to change at some point anyway. (i.e. why worry about finding a relatively rare van with the 3.73 gears if you're dead-set on 31" tires - 'cause you'll probably end up re-gearing to 4.11's anyhow)

Of course condition, maintenance history and mileage somewhat outweigh other things in a pre-owned vehicle though. I wouldn't discount a pristine, low mileage GenII - wait, okay, yes I would. But that is me. :p

Herbie, have you driven a GenII with the smaller disc/drum brakes, especially fully loaded? It just doesn't cut it for me anymore though I suppose thousands could be spent on brake/rear disc upgrades and possible master cylinder swap.

When searching online, it's pretty easy to review RPO codes for vehicles if you have VIN so wouldn't discount it too much. There are enough vans out there that you should be able to have your cake and eat it too. :sombrero:

I painted myself into a corner when I got started because I'd convinced myself I just HAD to have rear heat and AC. The rear AC is nice, I'm getting ready to delete the rear heater. :rolleyes: I even passed up one or two vans that already had the NP231 transfer-case swap and re-gearing I wanted, because I thought interior fit-out was more important. (One was a cargo van, IIRC) In retrospect, it would have been cheaper and faster to just re-do the interior or pay to add RV windows versus finding a "virgin" passenger van and starting fresh.

The one thing I did right was to find a REALLY low mileage example. I've still only got 67k on mine...

I love the rear heat and a/c, wouldn't go back to a van without. My '97 without rear heat or a/c was always too cold in winter and hardly cooled down enough at times during summer. With dual units, the van cools/warms up so much faster, it's a ridiculous difference. In frigid temps with the rear heat, once the temperature stabilizes I can turn down the front blower from full blast so I don't have hot air blowing on me and set the airflow to keep my feet toasty. If you have rear seat passengers it makes even more of a difference whether or not they will freeze or overheat to death. :D Is it a requirement for everyone? No, but food for thought I suppose.

Hopefully it's beneficial reading varying opinions and differences in what we do and don't find useful/suitable.

OverlandZJ, if you're talking GenI TBI stuff, can't help you there though visiting the A/S forums would give you a bunch more insight.

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
I've had seven Astros to date and I'm casually searching for my eighth which will be from the 2003-2005 model years.

Search my posts and you'll find some good Astro primers. PM for my number as I'm happy to talk Astros and have given phone support on many repairs / modifications.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Herbie, have you driven a GenII with the smaller disc/drum brakes, especially fully loaded? It just doesn't cut it for me anymore though I suppose thousands could be spent on brake/rear disc upgrades and possible master cylinder swap.

A couple. Yeah, the 2003+ are definitely the best of the breed, but there are only so many out there.

When searching online, it's pretty easy to review RPO codes for vehicles if you have VIN so wouldn't discount it too much. There are enough vans out there that you should be able to have your cake and eat it too. :sombrero:

And that might be a matter of timing - when I was looking for mine, I found scant few AWD on offer in our area. I ended up going to Tuscon to pick up mine. Curiously nearly every van I saw that met all my criteria was also the same Tan color. Good thing I didn't want blue *that* badly... ;-)

I love the rear heat and a/c, wouldn't go back to a van without. My '97 without rear heat or a/c was always too cold in winter and hardly cooled down enough at times during summer. With dual units, the van cools/warms up so much faster, it's a ridiculous difference. In frigid temps with the rear heat, once the temperature stabilizes I can turn down the front blower from full blast so I don't have hot air blowing on me and set the airflow to keep my feet toasty. If you have rear seat passengers it makes even more of a difference whether or not they will freeze or overheat to death. :D Is it a requirement for everyone? No, but food for thought I suppose.

I agree that rear AC is pretty awesome. Given how I have my interior setup (like a VW westy, where the back seat is pretty far from the front row), it's really the only way the rear gets cool. We just don't use the heater much at all (front or rear), and my experience with mine is that the rear heater is great for toasting feet, but didn't get much use otherwise. The main reason I'm pulling mine is that I've had to compromise the ductwork in that area already due to locating some cabinetry/equipment on the aft end. Moreover, I REALLY want that space up against the driver's side wall, it's a key 4-6" that I need for my layout...

DaJudge

Explorer
Just an FYI. If your significant other is traveling with you make sure they try out the passenger seat. It is very uncomfortable having your lift leg cocked to the right all day long! We have three '04s at work and they have been great vans except the engine cover forcing the passengers legs into an awkward position.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Just an FYI. If your significant other is traveling with you make sure they try out the passenger seat. It is very uncomfortable having your lift leg cocked to the right all day long! We have three '04s at work and they have been great vans except the engine cover forcing the passengers legs into an awkward position.

I believe i'v read this isn't as much an issue in an early version? I remember reading that somewhere.. Astro site probably.

I came across a 94 that went through Boulder OffRoad and has been modified with a solid front axle and D60 rear. It has 170K on it, so I was curious on the engine and trans dependability.

Are the later model seats a direct swap?

mdmead

Adventurer
I have no experience with the newer 16" wheel vans, so I can't comment on the brake upgrades. That being said, the sweet spot for me is the 96-98 vans. New style bodywork and the viscous clutch t-case. From my years on astrosafarivans.com, there are far more problems regarding durability with the newer electronic t-cases than with the old viscous units. I know my viscous case reacts so quickly I've never noticed a difference in traction in it vs. the many 4x4 trucks and SUVs I've had. (Obviously we are talking 4x4 high as there is no low range with the viscous case.)

But as stated, overall condition/mileage needs to be a major factor. As for rear heat/air, mine doesn't have it. I won't say it wouldn't be nice, but I've gotten by (maybe a bit cooler or warmer...) without it just fine.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

When I built the new seat riser to accommodate the swivel in my van, I specifically shifted the passenger seat aft a couple of inches. Since the passenger footbox is "tapered", those couple of inches make a HUGE difference...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior