Trailer Dilemma: Which One to Keep

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
So... I have this dilemma. I have two military type trailers and need to downsize to just one as there is no need to keep both. Both are very similar in condition and use but I just can't decide which one is better. I need a little help of which one to keep.

The first is a 1946 Bantam T3-C. It's unrestored and in decent shape. Very usable with minor surface rust all over it.... nice patina. It has some very minor rust holes in the bed area but nothing to be concerned about. No title but not too hard to title in my state. The OEM hitch has been removed and a 2" receiver put in it's place. I can run either a 2" ball or a non rotating lunette. It has a factory tailgate in it. 15" wheels with a spare.

The second is a 1965 Stevens M416B1. It's unrestored and in decent condition and has a title. It has the factory lunette and this model has surge brakes from the factory. 16" wheels with a spare. A tailgate has been cut into it but it has been done very well. It also has two factory Jerry can mounts in front of the fenders. This M416B1 was owned by a farmer who used it in the mountains behind his Jeep for hunting. It has some dents and dings but nothing major. No rust at all.

The only advantages of the M416B1 over the T3C (that I can see) are the rotating lunette, shocks, and the surge brakes. However, the T3C is much classier (in my opinion) because of the round fenders.

General use will be hauling various gear for large group camping trips and hauling miscellaneous crap here and there: dump runs, etc. I will be towing it with either an 80 series, 1965 FJ45 short bed pickup, or a 1958 Land Rover Series 1 88". I will NOT be building any sort of official camping trailer out of it; I already have a nice off road tear drop camper made by Moby 1.

I have a friend interested in the one I decide to get rid of. He will be using it for the same reasons: hauling camping gear and other miscellaneous crap.

So... which one would you choose and why?

Tough choice. And I own a '47 Bantam T3-C.

But the advantages you list of the 416 are things I wish were on the Bantam. And doesn't the 416 have a parking brake too?

Yet the Bantam looks so right behind the 88 and FJ45.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Septu

Explorer
When I first got my M101, I expected to do a SOA and lose the parking brake. After using it for a summer (as it was)... there's no chance in hell I'll go without the brake. I have an RTT on my trailer, the brake come in VERY handy much more often then one would think. The rotating pintle is nice... but not the end of the world. I don't do anything with it that really requires it, that a ball couldn't handle - but who knows down the road?

If it's just the fenders... couldn't you figure out a way to move them over?

Robert Bills

Explorer
My vote would be to keep the Bantam, but I can't say that I'm totally impartial.

Jeep%20Trailer%201.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
Sell the Bantam to a military vehicle person.

Keep the 416.

The Bantam isn't military and of no use to a military collector. A TC-3 is Bantam's civilian trailer - even more rare than the military T3 due to so many "Bubba" hack jobs by owners trying to make them look military.

I was lucky. My '46 Bantam T3-C was all original when I got it (except for the '50 Pontiac tail lights and '56 license plate), and now has a 'vintage 46 California trailer plate thanks to California's "year of manufacture" license plate program. I wouldn't trade it for three M-416s.

navigator

Adventurer
it sounds like both would work good for you.
Since getting a title isn't a big deal for you, I would likely sell the one I could get the most for :)
I'd likely put them both on CL with a premium price and see which one sells first and keep the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz