FIRST TIME OUT E450 Ambulance

PGGRS

Observer
First shakedown trip to Moab for the Toyota event was a success, pulled an enclosed trailer with my RZR inside. Couldn't even feel (or see) it back there. Averaged almost 13 MPG, installing that old Winnebago front wedge paid off! No issues with the 3 fuel tank switching, All systems operational with a few(expected) electrical issues.Here's 2 shots at the campground. Back home now finishing up a couple of to do's. I'll post some completed pics soon, hopefully I can check in from the Overland Expo near Flagstaff this weekend. If you're there & see me stop by! Here's 2 shots at the Slick Rock campground. And no, not snow, cursed Cottonwood trees! IMG_20150430_171400949_HDR.jpg IMG_20150430_171312055.jpg

cjken

Explorer
Really impressive!!

What rooftop ac is that?? Does the 2800 have any issues powering it.
The front wedge is a great idea. I never would have thought of that!
Good luck with your Alaska trip.
The 140 gal will be nice to have for that!!

PGGRS

Observer
Thanks. AC is in top of the old oxygen compartment, behind the driver. Where the silver vent is. It is a Kool Kat by Dometic, 10K BTU AC & heat pump. Pulled it out of a Coleman popup trailer years ago, sitting on my garage floor since. The only things on my roof are a stick on Unisolar panel, vent for the fridge(I thought of going side vent, but top vent is MUCH more efficient) & a small black tank vent. I'm not planning to take my kayak & accompaning Yakima box this time to Alaska, but there's plenty of real estate up there without a giant AC stuck in the middle. The 2800 genset runs the AC & heat pump with power to spare.The unit has a rotary compressor & the Onan doesn't seem to be working hard at all.

PGGRS

Observer
Baby got new shoes! Toyo MT's 255/85/16 8 of them! (& a winch)

Also a satellite dish, self tracking, older but works good. A lady who upgraded gave it to me for installing a faucet in her rig. I don't like it up there on the roof, so it may come off later. Leaving for Alaska & northern Canada in a week. East coast later in the summer. TV is nice sometimes to unwind, so it's up there disturbing me other times!

Got hot here(95 today) so i'll finish cleaning the interior (after Camp Mud at the expo) & start packing. Interior shots to follow soon!

Little & big toys 011.jpgLittle & big toys 013.jpgLittle & big toys 014.jpgLittle & big toys 016.jpg

PGGRS

Observer
Leaving for Canada & Alaska in a week. About time to call this thing DONE!!! There will always be little things to do, but I'm happy with the result as it sits...

Interior shots-

Little & big toys 001.jpg Little & big toys 002.jpg Little & big toys 003.jpg Little & big toys 004.jpgLittle & big toys 007.jpg Little & big toys 005.jpg

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
If only the wife thought a 4x4 ambulance RV adventure mobile was as cool as I do...nice job :sombrero:

GNTY

Adventurer
Do you have a map of your route you plan to take? We did a similar trip a couple years ago and loved it, only regret was that we didn't take more time to do it.

PGGRS

Observer
Wow! Were those windows there originally? If not, where'd you find them?

No, I installed them.(see pic on pg1) They, as did much of the build, came out of a homebuilt truck camper. Poor man died before he finished it, so everything was still unused. Storm-Tite, they're in Canada. They specialize in bus/RV conversions.Nicest RV windows I've seen, dual pane & spendy...

bdj238

Awesome job. One of the best interiors I've seen yet utilizing stock components

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Export

Your ambulance setup is the closest I've seen to my 'wishful' build of days to come. A very good job and a 'well done' to you.:)

But................ I give up. What model and what year of Winnebago did that cab air wedge come from? I have searched all over the internet using every search word I could think of to find a source for that particular one. Or is it an after-market company that makes them to fit the econoline/E-350/E-450 cab and box so well that Winnebago got parts from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles