FIRST TIME OUT E450 Ambulance

KirkL

Nice set-up! What's the standing head room in the camper section? How much headroom do you lose in the bathroom?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I saw this rig in person at the Vermont Overland Rally...incredible build with every detail fully considered. If I didn't need a rig with 4 seats and sleeping for 4, this would be my perfect platform and layout.

SG

cjken

Explorer
SG
it might be a bit big for some of the trails you seem to squeeze Boomer down. Other than that I'm sure you could set one up for your needs.

PGGRS

Observer
Wow! Been a while since I've been on here. See still no seperate area for ambo's ???
BUSY at work!!! Finally decided to get back to "perfecting my rig"
The goals 1- Extra headroom 2- extra sleeping berth for at least 1 adult 3- enclosed pod to fit at least a mountain bike 4- rack for my kayak

I'm well on my way. If you saw me at Expo you've seen the truck shell up on the roof, done the weekend before! I decided to use a truck shell instead of a conversion van top that would have given me less than a foot of height increase. The biggest problem with cutting a hole in the middle of the roof is the need to reroute all the wiring which runs down the middle of the ceiling. By using an import size shell & offsetting it to the passenger side of the box I can carry my kayak on top of the 9' tall roof of the original box. A conversion top is wider & wouldn't permit an upper bunk. Found another damaged shell at my buddies shop which is now taking shape as the storage pod to the rear. Tossed the crappy truck shell windows & am installing dual pane units that match the ones from my original build. Also a Fantastic Fan. Today was mostly scabbing in fiberglass sheeting to fill the giant holes left from the discarded windows. Insulation & FRP to match the lower area will be next.

Ambo Roof Extension 006.jpg,

Ambo Roof Extension 004.jpg,

Ambo Roof Extension 002.jpg,

Ambo Roof Extension 007.jpg,

Ambo Roof Extension 009.jpg,

Ambo Roof Extension 010.jpg,

Ambo Roof Extension 011.jpg

That is one of the most awesome inside work on a ambo I have ever seen!!! Your van has me rethinking my 94 ambo build....I don't think I want the bathroom layout you did, but the kitchen is sweet, and bed set up is awesome!

PGGRS

Observer
Thank you, more time & patience than skill. The bathroom & big fridge were my first "musts" Couldn't imagine getting by without those, but many don't. My sometimes girlfriend won't go anywhere without a toilet(explains the "sometimes") I've spent a couple months at a time in it & found it quite liveable. Finally decided to raise the roof. More progress...Painted, windows installed, added a ladder for access to rear(1/2 of a shell) storage "pod". I'll pull the inner window trim off later & use the insulation as a pattern to cut the FRP. Gotta get it cleaned up a bit, heading up to my summer place in Olympia, WA next week & a quick run into BC to bring in another Delica (my other obsession!)

Ambo Roof Extension 013.jpg

Ambo Roof Extension 012.jpg

Ambo Roof Extension 017.jpg

Ambo Roof Extension 016.jpg

Ambo Roof Extension 014.jpg

Ambo Roof Extension 018.jpg

Deshet

Adventurer
Do you have any pictures of the truck camper shell from a distance? Just wondering if it looks odd or if it fits the box well.

Thanks

PGGRS

Observer
Sorry, I don't get on here much. Got the rest of the insulation & FRP up on the inside. A little minor trim & some caulk left to do. Finished hinged panel above entry, got a 3 piece folding mattress for the top area on the curb side. A bit tight for a larger person, such as myself, but doable as an extra sleeping position. Will modify a ladder I pulled off a Delica I sold a while ago for access. And a fold up door for the forward storage area. I'll get the trim & cleaning done this week & will have more pics soon.
Also, finally got a dual pane window to replace the original entry door window. Painted it white & modified the trim ring off the original as this Ebay special didn't have one.About an inch taller but the same width, still was a ***** installing. 1/4 " angle around the original in addition to the 1/8" skin. Now all windows in the box & above are dual pane.
To answer ???, 90ish" is inside height now, 22" above the original roof (now the bunk). I used 1 1/2 truck shells & cut up a Braun "Chair Topper" for the front section to smooth things out a bit. It is offset to the curb side so I can carry my kayak to the side of the shells & not be sky high. Used import shells as they're 5' wide, not 6' like domestic size. I had thought of using a hitop off a van (again too wide), but couldn't find one that worked as well as this setup. The rear 1/2 shell is bigger than any roof pod & is accessible from both in & outside. You probably could sleep a kid or two in there if the need arose.
I'll follow up with inside shots soon!

thumbnail_IMG_20180114_163103526.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20180114_163119824.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20180114_163037341.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles