Danner Mountain Light II - An on-going review

shogun

Adventurer
Agreed, leather can change shape, if its not too heavy/thick. Both my examples have pretty thick leather that isnt about to stretch or give. I was pretty disappointed in a company that makes good stuff. Live and learn.

Good luck.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Agreed, leather can change shape, if its not too heavy/thick. Both my examples have pretty thick leather that isnt about to stretch or give. I was pretty disappointed in a company that makes good stuff. Live and learn.

Good luck.

Were you able to try them on in person or order online? It was really hard to find them around here so I had to order online, it was a leap of faith and (so far) has worked out for me.

shogun

Adventurer
Were you able to try them on in person or order online? It was really hard to find them around here so I had to order online, it was a leap of faith and (so far) has worked out for me.

Yes, I bought them at a shop and tried them on first. The problem isnt the size/fit, it is the shape of the heel. My heel just isnt shaped like that and the shoes/boots didnt "break in" or stretch the top of the heel. An expensive lesson, but thats it. I wont buy Danner any more because of thier lasts, not quality. I have discovered Lowa and am a happy hiker.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I am back from my trip, I wore them for about 8 hours Saturday and 5 or 6 Sunday. I didn't have a single comfort issue or any hotspots at all. I did a lot of really rough terrain including hours in a row on mountainside rock fields walking entirely on fallen sharp and irregular rocks, a lot of them tippy.

I haven't felt this good in a pair of hiking boots in awhile. Needless to say I am still very pleased.

They took a beating and have a few small surface scratches on the leather but nothing to worry about. The vibram kletterlift sole still looks brand new and provided great traction.

Some worry about ankle support with the 5" height, but I have no issues on some of the toughest terrain you can walk on. Full disclosure, however, I have very good ankles and (knock on wood) have never had a sprain in all my years of hiking, mountain biking and basketball.

I wore a liner sock with a mid-weight wool sock over top, very comfortable and my feet were dry and cool the entire day. I did have them in someone water, only a few inches but no issue with water coming in.

A few pics from after Pennsylvania

4299b65b8503c975f07969945362079d_zps5a2f02c8.jpg

746a6ddf44b48404d52698922db211cb_zpsc27c8be8.jpg

2ca22f211c35433ca99c111202244c6a_zpsdf6b3dc8.jpg

I have been wearing the Acadia 8" boots for the past year for work. I wear them 12-14 hrs a day and have nothing but praise for them. I usally wear out a pair of boots in six months and these have lasted a year. They were expensive ($250) but I sent them into Danner and had them re-soled for $100 so it is cheaper then when I was spending $150 on boots every six months. I didn't have to break them in. Put them on and worked a 16 hr shift and my feet were as happy at the end of my shift as they were in the begining.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Went off-roading with my brother yesterday and wore the danners for 12 plus hours in some pretty rough, wet terrain. Still happy with these and feel very comfortable. The top of my Achilles was a little tender this morning when I put them back on but no blisters.

Gave them a little TLC tonight. I bought some obenauf's and tried that compared to the Danner stuff I had been using. Time will tell on results but the Obenauf's is easier to apply (turns liquid in your fingers) and goes a little further.

ef9f5499d5d25ae634410471749ee70a_zps6a18d742.jpg

da0c9a53cbbd06e7bd147036e0ac03ab_zps8fa88aec.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I was away for work this week, so I didn't get to see how the Obenaufs soaked in to the boots. They were almost completely dry after the 3/4 days I was away, couple spots still had a little liquid.

The leather feels more supple and rich compared to the Danner stuff I had been using, but perhaps it's just that I haven't used the other in a few months. I loaned my Danner dressing to my brother and he lost it so that's why the switch. I will finish up the Danner stuff and likely switc back and forth for awhile to see if there is any. Too enable difference between the two as the boots get older and have more need for a dressing/protector.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Question, do your feet get too hot wearing these? I really like the design and the fact that they are waterproof, but I'd be worried that they would be a bit too toasty.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Question, do your feet get too hot wearing these? I really like the design and the fact that they are waterproof, but I'd be worried that they would be a bit too toasty.

I was a little worried but not at all, even during heavy activity.

I always wear wool socks with which helps, even though it is counter-intutive

I haven't worn them in any 100oF days yet but in a few that have been close and I was perfectly fine.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I was a little worried but not at all, even during heavy activity.

I always wear wool socks with which helps, even though it is counter-intutive

I haven't worn them in any 100oF days yet but in a few that have been close and I was perfectly fine.

Awesome, good to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste