Tipi vs Tent

carbon60

Explorer
The lady and I have been camping with a CVT hard shell RTT and awning, which has been excellent.

Now we want to extend our season into the colder temperatures. -20°C to -35°C (-4°F to -31°F) is pretty normal in winter north if Ottawa. Since the last couple of times we tried it, she froze solid, I'm looking for a new system.
uqu2uqy7.jpg

I'm tending towards a high-quality tipi (teepee) like Tentipi Zirkon 15 CP:

netyny5a.jpg

With one if their wood stoves, as well.

This is the most expensive solution, which seems to be the nicest.

Other tipi options:

Helsport Varanger Lavvu 12-14
TIPITENT Outfitter
Kifaru 16 Man Tipi
Seek Outside 12 Man Tipi
Boutique Camping Bell Tent
(I don't really like the ultralight route.)

Non-tipi/teepee/lavvu route:

Snowtrekker EXP Outfitter
Alaska Tent & Tarp Artic Oven

What are you using to camp in terrible weather while still having a nice, relaxing, time?

Thanks,

A.

Last edited:

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
Technology even reaches out to the Tipi. The one in the pic looks really nice and cozy. The basic tipi design has been proven over a thousand years or so.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I would guess a Tipi or outfitters style tent with a wood stove would be a must in temps like that. An outfitters tent is pretty much a base camp only option, I would not want to set one up and take it down everyday. There are some cabin style tents out there that set up easier and have a zip out section of floor and a stove pipe hole in the ceiling so you could still use the stove for warmth.
There are also tent heaters (Zodi?) that use a propane burner outside the tent a heat exchanger and a fan to blow ducted air into the tent.
In either a Tipi or tent either a double wall design or the thickest material available would give you the best insulation.

We use a hard sided trailer for Elk hunting, it gets down to around -20F for us and we stay plenty comfy.

Darrell

roamingaz

Explorer
Mine is the 4 man which is the smallest they make, if you want more room a 8 or 12 man would work well with cots. Here is a few pictres of mine for size reference. The stoves heat the tipi amazingly well and the quality is excellent I am a big fan of Kifaru gear and own several of their packs also. My tipi I bought used and is about 15 years old and still in great condition. I had a roof top tent that was ok then tried a Kodiak Canvas tent the I really liked but it is very heavy and bulky so I decided on a tipi and at first my wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of no floor but she is pretty awesome and gave it a shot and now loves it for winter camping, granted we didn't get much snow this year but the lower desert gets very cold and she never wanted to go camping in the winter because she freezes at night even with a $300 down sleeping bag!
You will not regret a tipi and stove and Kifaru is made in Colorado with outstanding customer service. Setting the tipi up the first time takes a little practice and I wasn't getting the pitch right so I emailed the company and got a phone call from Patrick who owns the company and he literately talked me though set up over the phone.
1457617_10202974126460301_478291335_n_zpsf27d25f1.  jpg

20140101_111123_zps9ab6e181.jpg

20140101_094541_zpsba78dc79.jpg

20140101_094320_zpscee8e2d3.jpg

20140101_082746_zps3941b3b5.jpg

20131227_143701_zps3c778196.jpg

video I made for stove

Last edited:

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Range Tent

Just another option for you to look at:
http://www.cowboycamp.net/range_tents.php
I've been very satisfied with my range tents from David for several years.
Easy set-up/take-down. They are canvas, so the weight and bulk is probably more than the ones you posted above.
I don't have a wood stove for mine, but David can add that feature to yours easily.

Dennis

2012-10-31_12-55-17_699.jpg

ameridorian1961

I'll second the Kifaru tent. Only thing close is a Titanium Goat in quality, weight & performance that I know of. I'll never buy a tent with a bottom again for a base camp out of a motorized vehicle. I use the 6 man with a stove sized for the weather when out backing or hunting on wheelers. LG stove for snow & med for other conditions. A 6 man is perfect for 2 people on cots with room to spare for gear. An 8 or 12 man and you have room for chairs.
Kifaru even lets their members sell used gear on the site. I picked up my 6 man for half price with stove, liners, & bug screens that was only used a couple of times. You need the liners for sure in the cold weather. Their website is loaded with gear information. The customer service & support is a class act. 100% waterproof. I've put mine through the ringer in AK.

If I was looking for an inexpensive used high quality 4 season tent with a bottom I would look for a Cabela's Alaskan Guide which you can get great deals on craigslist, but they sell pretty quick.Make sure you research how to buy a used tent & understand when it would need to be resealed if you don't already know. Not a big deal but should be reflected in the price. If you can luck out on a MOSS on Craig's or at a yard sale more power too you. Used Moss's on e-bay are inflated to ridiculous prices by the foreign buyers outside the US.

I'd take a used, proven, reputable high end tent any day over a new REI type tent any day. Just my 2cents.

AFSOC

Explorer
Now we want to extend our season into the colder temperatures. -20°C to -35°C (-4°F to -31°F) is pretty normal in winter north if Ottawa.

I grew up in Eastern Montana feeding cattle in those temps. I couldn't wait until I was old enough to flee to Southern climates. Tent camping in those temps is for far better men than me, I am very impressed. Best of luck on your search for the best shelter.

carbon60

Explorer
Learn to love the cold! No bugs, no tourists, no swamps. What's not to like? :)

Many of the other options seem pretty small to me. If it's a base camp for my truck, then bigger is better.

Kifaru keeps coming up, so I need to revisit that option. My instinct is that I want a poly-cotton material, not a lightweight waterproof synthetic.

Thanks for everyone's opinions!

A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke