Pelican case kitchen build

60Dan

Explorer
Here is a Pelican case kitchen I built for my trailer.
It could be modified to be put on a truck swing arm, a stand alone kitchen or some other application.

Its basically a fancy chuck box, but a cheaper option than say a Kantz

I will be adding either drawers or just storage containers under the stove. The lid has pockets for utensils or what ever you can think of

KeepCruzin

Observer
You dont think it'll be tough cooking on your stove at armpit level? (I may have my proportions all wrong)
Most kitchen set ups I'v seen keep the stove pretty low and let you reach up above to get anything else. (this also decreases the area that gets showered in hot grease and cooking bits)
Regardless, looks super clean and I love the swing out towards the table.

60Dan

Explorer
I'm stealing this. Could you let me know the model? Thanks!

Sure thing. It a Pelican Storm IM2975
Best place to score these are on craigslist. Or better still, a craigslist near a military base. Ive managed to pick up some sweet deals on Pelcian cases that were used one time - or like this one which was brand new in the box.

Check your stove dimensions first though.

The slides are lock in lock out type slides. They retract to 12inches and extend 12inches (24" total).

You dont think it'll be tough cooking on your stove at armpit level? (I may have my proportions all wrong)
Most kitchen set ups I'v seen keep the stove pretty low and let you reach up above to get anything else. (this also decreases the area that gets showered in hot grease and cooking bits)
Regardless, looks super clean and I love the swing out towards the table.

The photo is a little deceiving - I'll post a pic with me standing next to it for better perspective soon.

The trailer is just over 5ft tall and the stove is just over 4ft from the ground. Im almost 6ft so this puts it at a nice height for me.
The table however is a little low but manageable . Ive thought about doing an axle flip which would raise everything up another 3-5 inches but I dont think its going to be necessary.
I suppose if you did something like this in a chuck box style, you could put adjustable legs on it for any height.

Thanks for the compliments guys, sure appreciate it

bluehash

Adventurer
Thanks! I have the same pelican. I was going to swap for a smaller one as it was too big for the roof. New use now.
Okay.. one question. I see that you have a slider for the stove(slides out when in use). Would the heat from the stove, affect the plastic. Maybe not ?

60Dan

Explorer
Did you build that trailer? Because it looks awesome!

Thank you!
It all started about 3-1/2 years ago. I was planning on starting with an old military trailer when I stumbled across a clean platform made by a company no longer in business.
Ive made so many modifications to it, I feel like Ive built it from scratch!

Here is the build if your interested:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84303-Modifying-my-LV-416-Explorer

Thanks! I have the same pelican. I was going to swap for a smaller one as it was too big for the roof. New use now.
Okay.. one question. I see that you have a slider for the stove(slides out when in use). Would the heat from the stove, affect the plastic. Maybe not ?

These Partner Steel stoves keep the heat pretty well centralized and the lid from the stove acts as a heat barrier. If I come across any problems I will let you know

Ive had a couple of PM's about the light inside the box ...

I ordered a set of PFRAN LED's to replace the dome lights in the interior of my Landcruiser. PFRAN sent me an extra one which I didnt need (presumably a spare?).
Anyway I re-purposed it for this project. Its wired to a rocker switch on the swing out. The wires are run through the frame for a clean look.
They are bundled with the LED light wires for the license plate as seen here:

jdinevens

Adventurer
Sure thing. It a Pelican Storm IM2975
Best place to score these are on craigslist. Or better still, a craigslist near a military base. Ive managed to pick up some sweet deals on Pelcian cases that were used one time - or like this one which was brand new in the box.

Its funny, I could probably tell you what that case went too.....or at least we have some very similar ones sitting at work....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz