Trailer thoughts and ideas

fowldarr

Explorer
So I bought a trailer last year. I posted some pics on here somewhere, but will have to search for the thread. My main question right now is, what is the best way to get stuff from the front of the box? It is a home built enclosed box 4x4x8? Which makes it a little short to stand in. I have thought of putting in a side access door, or maybe a pull out drawer (kitchen?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fowldarr

Explorer
eta5ujy2.jpg
here is a picture from the other thread before it was completely painted. It is now all painted in rust inhibitor black ( soon to be repainted, after some minor rust repair)

hidefxj

Observer
Honestly, you're only limited by your imagination. Have you given serious thought as to what you would ultimately want in a trailer? Consider the places you will take your trailer and the uses (storage, camping, hauling mulch).
I would start with a plan, but the main questions I would have for you are:
1) what are the walls made of, wood or steel?
2) what is your skill level? Can you weld etc.?

If the walls are wood, grab some tape and do an outline of a door and stare at it and if you see no issues, grab a saw? Slap on some hinges and voila.......door!
If the walls are metal........well we will have to regroup. But you get the idea!

fowldarr

Explorer
They are metal on the outside, wood on the inside. But I have an angle grinder! I can weld, but not well ( I do have my own welder), I was thinking about picking up a teardrop style door, or one off of a cargo trailer.....

It will mainly be used for hauling camping gear (I have 4 kids and two dogs) it has helped a couple of people move, and some limbs to the dump once. We are hoping to take a trip to glacier this summer, I need to keep it reasonably weather proof, so no chopping it unless I have a plan.

hidefxj

Observer
I'm fairly skilled with an angle grinder but I don't know how you are. I would lay out the measurements for the door, then slap a cutting wheel on my grinder and cut away. Remember to check and make sure you're not cutting through wiring and such sammiched between the wood and steel.
Cut lightly so as to just cut the metal. Then use a jigsaw/recip saw or even circular and cut the wood that is behind the steel.
Try and make your cuts as straight as possible because the material u cut out will be reused as your door.
Then look at how trailer doors are made, they utilize an aluminum trim with weatherstripping around the perimeter of the door. Now you have a door, and a method for sealing. All that is left is hardware (hinges and a latch/locking system).
You will probably want to do the passenger side so you can easily load from the sidewalk or unload/access from the side of the road safely. I would also put the hinges toward the front of the trailer so that if the latch fails, or the door is not shut all the way, it won't fly open under speed and slam into the side of the trailer.

Questions? :)

fowldarr

Explorer
Yeah, I have a question, what are you doing thus weekend? Haha. All sounds like a good idea, there is some rust repair that needs done right where I would put the door, so I have to work that out.

hidefxj

Observer
Yeah, I have a question, what are you doing thus weekend? Haha. All sounds like a good idea, there is some rust repair that needs done right where I would put the door, so I have to work that out.

LOL......I'm working on MY trailer :)
There are many ways to skin this cat but I believe that would be one of the easier, cheaper ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94