Triple-purpose JK Build

jsmoriss

Explorer
Maloppa said:
I have a question. The wiring that is running by the firewall. What did you use to sheath them with. It looks like a mesh of some sort and can you give me a lead to obtain some. Thanks.

Painless Performance Braided wire sleeve (aka wire loom). If you search for "wire sleeve" on jegs.com, for example, it should return some by Painless and Jegs.

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Added LED brake and backup lights (dual-intensity 3157 Luxeon LEDs in red and white). Since they don't draw enough current (causes flasher to flash to fast), I had to add some 50 Watt 6 Ohm resistors to the brake / turn signal circuit. On the driver's side, this is the black and white w/ green stripe wires:

20081014-101020-lx2-40062.jpg

I didn't get a shot of the passenger side, but if I remember correctly, it's the black and white w/ yellowish stripe (kind of a really light lime green / yellow).

I tie-wrapped the resistors to the sheet metal to provide a good heat-sink.

The driver's side:

20081014-103048-lx2-40063.jpg

And passenger side:

20081014-104523-lx2-40065.jpg

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
jsmoriss said:

BTW, I'm really hoping someone didn't slash my tire. A tire going flat several days after a tough trail ride might be pushing it. On the other hand, the cuts don't seem _quite_ clean enough for a knife. Hard to tell. Either way, it cost me a new tire.

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
FYI - I recently had someone break into my Jeep. I think they were after the dog / divider net. They gave up after a few straps - if they'd gotten to the bottom two, they might have been surprised to see them bolted to the floor. :D Maybe that's what stopped them; who knows. Anyway, you can bet I'll never leave my Jeep without a spare tire and a soft top again. :) Luckily they un-zipped the rear window instead of slashing it. That was nice.

So, I'm a _little_ more paranoid these days, and have removed many / most of the pictures of my Jeep from my public photo album. I expect I'll put 'em back sometime in the future, but for now, this thread might appear a little naked. :)

js.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I try not to worry with it anymore. I dont even lock the Jeep at night, mall, whatever. There also is nothing to take except an old bent and scratched pair of Oakley's. I took everything else like my portable navigation system and only carry them when needed.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Alright, so the pictures are back online. If the weather can warm up a bit, I'll be able to upgrade the alarm system... Meanwhile, I've installed a new 3rd brake light...

20081030-083130-lx2-40073.jpg

I also mounted a second fire extinguisher on the passenger side. I'll have to get a pic of that later...

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Hardtop and winter tires are back on (33" Toyo M-55s hand-siped and studded).

20081104-100325-lx2-40084.jpg

If we can find a garage, we're thinking of buying a set of 35" trail-only tires for next summer. Specifically some Interco LTBs in 35x12.5-16LT on Champion Baja 16x8 beadlock wheels with black finish and flush mount C3 Ring (un-polished). 15s and 17s are more popular, but many/most alum. 15s don't fit the JK, and I don't find there's enough sidewall with a 35" tire on a 17" wheel. I'd probably get the Iroks or TSL Boggers instead, but I much prefer a non-directional tread to rotate all 5 tires.

We've gotten our first snow of the year, so if you notice in the above picture, there's a tarp on the roof rack. Last year we quickly realized that getting snow out from under the roof rack was a real pain. So we had a local shop make a tarp to fit the exact dimensions of our roof rack. I use some bungee thingies around the tarp to make it quick-n-easy to put on and take off. We put it on when we park it overnight, and remove it (along with any accumulated snow) before leaving. It's one of those small things that we're really happy with. :)

20081104-100122-lx2-40079.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, we added a fire extinguisher on the passenger side too...

20081104-100157-lx2-40080.jpg

I stuffed a triangle shaped piece of non-porous foam (pipe insulation, actually) in the opening to keep debris from accumulating in the opening.

Here's the matching driver's side...

20081104-100043-lx2-40076.jpg

A while back I was looking for some better air fittings for my in-cab air couplers. I'm really happy with the ones I chose. It's a one-handed coupler with an air purge feature that makes connecting/disconnecting a breeze.

http://www.tomcoqc.com/pdf/79117_tomco-pg3_2007-10_lo.pdf

Here's one installed on the passenger side (there's another on the driver's side).

20081104-100235-lx2-40082.jpg

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
cshontz said:
js - Superb build.

Thanks! If I had a garage, things would move along a lot faster, but I do what I can. Things that are on the list for next Spring are:

- Second battery under the rear platform w/ 2 x BICs (one for the backup battery, the other for the trailer power). The trailer BIC will cut the power when I turn on the winch solenoid.

- Bluetooth GPS & laptop setup.

- Rear axle shafts.

- 7-pin trailer plug.

- Front speaker swap.

- Underhood PA speaker.

I have ALL the parts to do all of this, but now that winter is rolling in, I have to put everything on hold... If I can find a garage, I'll probably order a Campa trailer sometime before February. :D Once the backup battery is installed, I'll probably add a Premier Welder too. :)

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
XXXpedition said:
which platform?
i wanna add a second battery too and with the diesel there's just no space left under the hood...

My Jeep is a 4-door TWO SEATER. :)

20080823-083208-lx2-30607.jpg

After a year, we asked ourselves who'd actually ridden in the back, and if we really needed the rear seats after all -- anyway, we bought the 4-door for the space, not the seating. So now I have a nice platform with tie-downs and I can mount a second battery + on-board welder under there...

js.

mrwizard

Adventurer
looks great! i like the on board air set up, but am curious about the in-cab line. could you elaborate a little more on it? what do you use it for? do you have a valve on the exterior or is it always charged?

very slick set up on all the elctro bits. make sure you take your father-in-law out to a good ale every now and again so he knows how much he's appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles