Triple-purpose JK Build

jsmoriss

Explorer
Hi everyone,

It looks like starting a build-up thread is quite the tradition, so I might as well start one too. :)

In 2006 I was very close to buying a custom built Defender 110 from out west -- all the good shops seam to be on the West coast, at least in Canada -- but around the same time the new Jeep JK 4-door came out. We were looking for something big enough to haul around our dog training gear (field retrieve and dog sledding), canoe-camping stuff, and take us pretty far off-road. We ordered the Unlimited (4-door) Rubicon model with manual tranny, dual tops, side airbags, etc., etc. It took 5 months before we finally had it. And here she was...

20070530-165329-lx2-00896.jpg

This wasn't just our first Jeep, it was our first vehicle! We live right downtown, don't have a parking, and the subway or walking is often just as fast. But we were getting tired of renting minivans to get out of the city. So anyway, here we are, with a Jeep, and wondering about all the things we could do with it. We'd already planned on adding a roof rack, and to strengthen the mount points, we started with corner guards. Here's me and my father-in-law giving us a hand.

20070603-132926-lx2-10101.jpg

Next was the Tuffy center console...

20070609-171612-lx2-10134.jpg

Then a new Magnaflow exhaust...

20070611-153718-lx2-10155.jpg

Cibie headlights (the OEMs are pretty bad)...

20070616-110634-lx2-10177.jpg

Follow by a Jet Chip stage 1, Misch arm rests and Tuffy locking cubby cover...

20070716-172507-lx2-10408.jpg

jsmoriss

Explorer
Next was an sPod Source to switch AUX lights...

20070722-183332-lx2-10486.jpg

A CoolTech switch panel...

20070724-165357-lx2-10509.jpg

Shrockworks Rock Sliders, with my father-in-law giving me a hand...

20070728-144846-lx2-10600.jpg

New wheels and tires, but still no lift...

20070729-181729-lx2-10623.jpg

AEV front bumper (used a friend's garage for this one)...

20070804-141644-lx2-10691.jpg

Front and Rear Riddler diff covers...

20070811-140927-lx2-10758.jpg

Cb antenna mount...

20070812-152632-lx2-10789.jpg

Garvin roof rack...

20070818-175040-lx2-10833.jpg

Winch, bumper-mounted off-road lights, and new horns...

20070910-181850-lx2-20095.jpg

Tuffy overhead console with Cobra CB...

20071005-151739-lx2-20355.jpg

jsmoriss

Explorer
Autometer gauges for oil pressure, water temp, and voltmeter...

20070923-180311-lx2-20190.jpg

We also installed a Full Traction 3" Ultimate lift by the time we attended the 2007 Maine Jeep Jamboree...

20070928-164335-jsmmv-8675.jpg

And here she is today...

20071222-091620-lx2-20523.jpg

So far we've installed...

Summer Tires and Wheels
Toyo Open Country MT LT285/75R16 (33x11.5")
Procomp 7189-6873 16x8" 5on5" 4.5" BS​
Winter Tires and Wheels
Toyo M-55 (US Model) LT285/75R16 (33x11.5")
American Racing Mojave with Teflon 16x8" 5on5" 4.5" BS​
Riddler Diff Covers
Full Traction 3 Inch Ultimate Lift
sPod Source and CoolTech Switch Mount
Cibie Headlight Swap
AEV Front Bumper
Bosch Compact 100A Yellow Fog Lights
Cibie Oscar Driving Lights on Front Bumper
Warn 9.5si Winch
Shrockworks Rock Sliders
AEV Corner Guards
Garvin Roof Rack
Tuffy Center Console
Tuffy Cubby Cover
Tuffy Overhead Console
Cobra 29WXNWST CB Radio
Misch Arm Rests
Optima Battery
Painless 7 Circuit Aux Fuse Block
Autometer Gauges
Hella Superton Horn Set
Jet Chip Stage 1
Magnaflow Exhaust
Quick Air 2 Portable
Ravelco Anti-Theft Device

And since this was our first vehicle, we also had to get equipped with tools, shackles, snatch blocks, straps, jacks, etc., etc., etc.

Phew! We were well on our way to enjoying a great dual purpose truck, but as the title said, this is going to be a triple-purpose Jeep... After doing the Jeep Jamboree, and few other trails, we started thinking of using our Jeep in conjunction with our canoe-camping trips - maybe using the Jeep as a base camp. Well, that's about the time I found ExPo and a whole new world opened up! :) So this Jeep will be a triple-purpose vehicle; daily driver, off-road/trail truck, and expedition vehicle.

Ordered and waiting to go on are; Rock Hard engine, tcase and gas tank skids, Hannibal 2.4m awning, ARB fridge, 2nd battery, Expedition One rear bumper and tire carrier, Superior front & rear axle shafts, Poly Performance drag link and tie-rod, Alpine HU (to make room for a 2nd switch panel)...

js.

Last edited:

IronSmiles

Observer
Wow, Love the jeep and the color! I'm still torn between one day building a 2001 XJ or getting a rubicon JK and building that after I'm done with my current rig.. but yours is very nice! :D

ExpoMike

Very Nice!!! Just about the way I would build one. Actually I figure if I get to the point of replacing our Cherokee, this is what I want.... but in a deisel. :safari-rig:

jingram

Adventurer
I love it! Looks great... just about the way I would have set one up! Awesome job on a first vehicle!

XXXpedition

Explorer
now,that is quite an impressive first build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bowdown:
wow, awesome.
i noticed you switched rims... why?
great job!
sven

jsmoriss

Explorer
Thanks for all the compliments guys. It's been quite a bit of work, especially since a lot of it was done on the street! :)

XXXpedition, I switched wheels and tires for winter. My summer wheels have a raw aluminum rim that would corrode in winter, and the Toyo MTs are less than ideal on ice or wet surfaces. My winter wheels are Teflon coated and the tires are Toyo M55s -- studded and hand-siped:

20071128-195118-lx2-20430.jpg

I love the M55s, even the '18-wheeler' noise they make on the highway. :D

We'll be doing the Vermont and Maine Jeep Jamborees again this year, but we're also looking at a longer trip; maybe Labrador and Newfoundland, or maybe drive down to Florida for some cave diving -- we'll see.

So far my "Expedition" mod plans are...

- Remove the "40" part of the 60/40 rear seats and replace it with an ARB fridge + second battery. I was going to mount a compressor there too, but I'll probably buy a bigger compressor and mount it in the Chaser trailer (yeah, I've got it on the list for this Fall or next Spring, we'll see).

- The 2.4m Hannibal awning (with side panels) will go on the driver's side and will be our 'kitchen', etc.

- The dog will probably be with us, and right now he's got the back to himself (with a Raingler net, in case of accident). In terms of 'base camp' use, a smaller Hannibal awning on the back would be nice to shade the dog, and also give him some air when it rains. I'm not sure though since a rear awning would interfere with the rear-facing AUX lights on the roof rack, would add considerable resistance on the highway, and I'm thinking of putting an Eezi Awn tent on the roof-rack until I get the Chaser trailer -- the tent would flip out towards the back and would have it's own side panels, etc.

One of the things I definitely want to avoid is adding too much 'permanent' weight to the roof rack. This is a big no-no for off-roading. This means finding a location for the Wedco jerry cans somewhere else than the roof too. Getting that Chaser trailer now would probably save me a few temporary solutions, but I'm already at my spending limit for the 'basics'. :D

js.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Awesome :bowdown: I love how you just dove right into Jeep ownership. A quality build like your usually happens on your 3 or 4 Jeep. I have enjoyed your write ups on some of the other Jeep forums. Keep the info coming. It is greatly appreciated! I can't wait to see it with the awning. Oh and you are going to love the Poly drag link flip kit. The handling on the JK is greatly improved.

outsidr

Adventurer
Very well thought out build. The attention to function and detail is great. Its fun tearing apart a brand new truck!:jumping:

jsmoriss

Explorer
Gear said:
Awesome :bowdown:

I would say the same for _your_ setup. :-D

I can't wait to see it with the awning.

It'll be a few weeks for sure because there's some fabbing involved. The Hannibal is made to clamp onto a larger diameter tubing -- and a square roof rack (the Garvin rack has rounded corners). We'll see what it looks like once it gets here. I may chop off the mounts and bolt it to some steel plates, and the plates to the roof rack sides. We'll see...

Oh and you are going to love the Poly drag link flip kit. The handling on the JK is greatly improved.

I wasn't sure, but the combination of the trackbar re-enforcement, plus the stabilizer relocation (I bough the Fox stabilizer too), plus the flip kit, well, the whole combo was irresistible. :) I just hope my FT trackbar will adjust down that much. :)

js.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles