Completed Vector EXO Rack Install for 4G Rotopax

kb7our

Explorer
How did this go? I have the vector rack left over from my Land Cruisers and am contemplating between the TF and AEV carriers. The TF is obviously a lot cheaper, especially if you reuse the factory tire holder. How was the oem tire mount/holder faired with the added weight? Are you also running a trasharoo over the tire?

Also, could you elaborate on why you didn't go the AEV route again?

I've used the TF setup (carrier and holder) with Vector Rotopax mount numerous times in actual off road conditions and with both 1 or 2 cans mounted (4G and 8G of fuel) without any issues I can detect. I suppose a Trasharoo might still fit over one Rotopax and work fine but 2 cans with full fuel plus a loaded Trasharoo might be pushing the leverage too far back?? On my '14 Jeep I wanted to try something different than the AEV carrier which would work with the factory bumper so I went with the very clean look of the Teraflex carrier which also does not block the rear window quiet as much (not super significant either way). The AEV setup is very stout and will carry just about whatever you want to put on it plus having 10G of fuel you can easily siphon down to the fuel opening is pretty slick vs. messing with the Rotopax - all about trade offs. The AEV bumper and carrier I had previously was fantastic but then so is the Teraflex/Vector setup I have now, each with different nuances you seem to be aware of. If you plan to carry fuel on the Teraflex accessory mount then that frees up the tire location for a trasharoo - I wanted to use the 4G Rotopax cans so had to come up with a different way to mount them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94