Completed Vector EXO Rack Install for 4G Rotopax

kb7our

Explorer
I recently completed an install of the Vector EXO rack which is set up to accommodate multiple Rotopax configurations. After having used the AEV 10.2G fuel tank a few years on my '07 JKU, I sure was happy with it even with the setup always leaving a bit of fuel at the bottom of the tank after a good siphoning. The AEV tank was sold to a fellow EXPO member along with many other goodies from my '07 Habitat build. When the '14 JKURX arrived I wanted to take another route and retain the OEM rear steel bumper which I like. After contemplating several available options and even a custom fab for carrying spare fuel, I decided to give Vector's EXO rack a go and so made my purchase from Keith. This setup seemed like the least intrusive path from OEM to compliment the Teraflex tire carrier I installed and which I think is a perfect match to the Jeep. I don't like the TF Rotopax mount setup. Anyhew, here are some pics of the install which nets me 8G of extra fuel vs. the 10 I had previously with the AEV setup and which I know would not completely empty anyway. Thus far a short time after install I really like the EXO rack with the optional light bracket which has several holes for antennas and lights. I cut the OEM 3rd brake light housing to fit as Vector offers a light similar to the AEV CHMSL, although I like the factory light better for now. For anyone considering a very nice setup that accommodates fuel and does not require any permanent mods to the Jeep (unless you cut off the 3rd brake light like I did), then this is a great option. I guess the one mod would be to splice in the vector light which I chose not to do at this time. The EXO is solid, nice looking, and fairly easy to install. Note I have a wheel spacer as well which was required with the Teraflex carrier due to amount of factory wheel backspacing. The EXO mount comes with a bracket you see behind the spacer and fits through the wheel center to which one large bolt holds the rack itself tightly against the tire for a secure install.

EXO1.JPGEXO2.JPGEXO3.JPGEXO4.JPGEXO5.JPGEXO6.JPGEXO7.JPG

Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
Very cool, but isn't that a lot of weight hanging off the rear door?

Not when you only carry empties :sombrero:

The TF carrier can do a monster 37 and these are factory rims with narrow tires. All factored into the setup - didn't want to lose the Trasharoo access (and all that weight which also hangs off the carrier), but oh well. The carrier is plenty strong for this setup but the true test is forthcoming over the summer. The match up of components seems well balanced and ideal for 8G of fuel.

BBailey

Explorer
Subscribed, will be following this closely. Have looked at the EXO Rack several times and have held off due to worries about weight, especially when running a 37's tire on Beadlocks. But I've got some ideas to shore up the tailgate and depending on how that goes and the EXO Racks performance, it might be a future purchase.

Please keep us informed, curious to hear how it performs in real world usage.

madZJ

Observer
Can the Rotopax be swapped end for end as to get the filler necks on the same side as the factory fuel door?

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I really like this setup also since I have the TF carrier. I may have to really look into this for the future.

Last edited:

Goody

Finally some good pics of this setup. Thanks!

I'm about to do the same also hanging off my TF carrier.

fjatl

Adventurer
Not when you only carry empties :sombrero:

The TF carrier can do a monster 37 and these are factory rims with narrow tires. All factored into the setup - didn't want to lose the Trasharoo access (and all that weight which also hangs off the carrier), but oh well. The carrier is plenty strong for this setup but the true test is forthcoming over the summer. The match up of components seems well balanced and ideal for 8G of fuel.

I thought the TF carrier actually wasn't on the door...doesn't it mount to the body?

kb7our

Explorer
I thought the TF carrier actually wasn't on the door...doesn't it mount to the body?

The TF mount bolts to the tail gate and replaces OEM hinges on the body. Took the setup off road last weekend with one 4G can and the trial run was successful without any issues. Next excursion with 8G of fuel next weekend.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
How did this go? I have the vector rack left over from my Land Cruisers and am contemplating between the TF and AEV carriers. The TF is obviously a lot cheaper, especially if you reuse the factory tire holder. How was the oem tire mount/holder faired with the added weight? Are you also running a trasharoo over the tire?

Also, could you elaborate on why you didn't go the AEV route again?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am going the same route. The factory carrier is plenty strong, the issue is fitting bigger tires and the space needed for bumper clearance. That's why teraflex has their own design. The strength issues in the tailgate are the hinges and the gate itself. The Teraflex hinge fixes both issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94