Used Mt. St. Helens vs. Used Maggiolina Purchase opinions

richcz28

I am looking to pick up a hard shell roof top tent and I have the opportunity to purchase a used Mt. St. Helens or a used Maggiolina. Both tents are about the same size.

The Maggiolina is $200 - $300 more than the Mt. St. Helens. I also have to drive about 100 miles to pick up the Maggiolina and the Mt. St. Helens would be shipped to my home. The Mt. St. Helens would be about $500 cheaper if not for the shipping.

Would you folks pay the extra $300 or go the cheaper route?

These tents look essentially the same to me and I have never had the opportunity to compare both in person. I would appreciate responses from anyone who has.

Thanks

java

Expedition Leader
Im guessing the Maggiolina is going to be a little better quality. I havent seen the CVT in person though so I cant say for sure. Im happy with my CVT normal RTT though if that helps, its been good for a few years, and was one of their first production runs.

NW European

Observer
I had a CVT tent (Mt. Rainier) for two years, and used it a lot (40+ nights in it), and I was very impressed with it. No complaints and a good price point for what you get. We really liked that tent.

That being said, I just sold it and picked up a Maggiolina (the quicker set-up and tear down time was my driver), and the quality is definitely up another notch. I think the CVT tent would be a good tent, but I think the Mag is going to be a "better" tent in terms of quality. Based an a few hundred dollars, I would go with the Maggiolina personally. But I am curious to see the new USA made CVT hard shell tents that come out later this year, that could be interesting.

JackW

Explorer
I love my Maggiolina - it would be hard to pass up the chance to get one for only a couple of hundred more. They make great tents.

FELNTPSY

maggolina? are they wet?

How do these Maggolina tents do in a driving wind/rain situation? Do the leak on the sides since they really have no rain protection. Is it just that good of material? Also, what do you do if you have to break camp while raining? Does it start leaking if you touch the sides?

Just wondering how it will do in Eastern NC in our windy/wet summer?

(sorry to Hi-jack the post OP!)

richcz28

Thanks for the replies.

No one so far has done a side by side comparison, but I'm hearing lots of good long term feedback about the maggiolina.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Why?, if you can get a Maggiolina it may be more expensive to buy but you get more when you sell. The CVT is a relative unknown and a moving target, the Maggiolina has been in production for over 50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richcz28

I'm going to try to pick up the Maggiolina. I'm excited either way to go in a new direction with my rig. This will be a big step in moving my truck more into the expedition realm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94