1989 V6 - Squeaky Steering Wheel - Solved

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hey Guys,
Later tonight, I'm going to go see what's up with this steering wheel squeak. After years of it being parked in my garage, I forgot how annoying this noise is. I've put 200 miles on the overhauled engine and this one thing is driving me nuts.

Does anyone else here have a squeaky steering wheel?
2006-mitsubishi-montero-4-door-4wd-ltd-sportronic-steering-wheel_100258735_m.jpg

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
It's a Gen 1 thing, the horn contact is what makes the noise. You can pull the wheel and clean it, I put a little electric engine comm lube on the contact and just cleaned the disc. Worked fine, i think a little bit of silicone spray lube would do the job as well and you might be able to snake the straw behind the wheel and give the contact a light spray.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
See my reply on 4x4wire. On there you posted this as a 96 then in the thread it sounded like it was a gen I so I gave suggestions for either. Since it says 89 here, then I will say it's likely the horn contacts need to be lubed per Mr. Ninja!:ylsmoke:

HTH.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
See my reply on 4x4wire. On there you posted this as a 96 then in the thread it sounded like it was a gen I so I gave suggestions for either. Since it says 89 here, then I will say it's likely the horn contacts need to be lubed per Mr. Ninja!:ylsmoke:

HTH.

Hey off-roader, I must have made a mistake on the subject line of the thread on the other forum. This is actually for my '89.

1922182_10202742825726227_2088964477_n.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No worries Jay. See my reply on 4x4wire. Need to remove the horn cover and relube the contacts then re-assemble and you should be all set... hopefully anyways.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Can you post a link to that 4wire thread here? My 98 squeaks and groans quite a lot. I don't view it fondly.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Sure although I'm not sure how similar it will be to his 89 since you will need to discharge the air bag. Be careful with that...

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1290028&an=0&page=0#Post1290028

Thanks for the link Ray. I thought it would be relevant because you said "See my reply on 4x4wire. On there you posted this as a 96 then in the thread it sounded like it was a gen I so I gave suggestions for either. "

Nice job on the repair photos Jay. Very clear!

MascotRejct

Adventurer
I dont think this is gen 1 only. My gen 3 has a squeaky steering wheel too. Any ideas for that? Could it be the same thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior