Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A new vario project

It was the easy and least expensive option to buy a second hand caravan half price. I had to make a mounting frame for it which is fixed to the chassis with spring bolts. I have thrown out the gas heater and gas fridge and installed a compressor fridge and Webasto air heater. So in fact the cost builds up. At the time (4yrs ago) it seemed a good idea but today I think I would choose to build a more rigid camper, designed more for our needs. I however would have to spend much more money.

Ok with that in mind I think I will continue the route of a purpose made box then.

As my truck came with a hydraulic pto pump to drive the 10500kgs winch (unfortunately it was no good) and a secondary pump for the cable lifting arms, I thought I would make use of it, so I have removed the big winch pump and fitted just the small one, this will be used to power four hydraulic legs that can be used for levelling up when camping, or lifting a wheel to change a tyre, or when stuck! so you can put rocks ect under the wheel.
    That's the plan anyway!

I wish I had more time to get on with my project! Unfortunately work gets in the way, progress is slow but I have now made all the brackets for the levelling legs and everything is on order. Also I have extended the chassis.The waste water tank,house battery frame is made and a 125L fuel tank fitted with a 80L secondary tank and pumping system. The 55L lpg tank is also installed, all inboard of the chassis rails! This will leave plenty of room for the side lockers. I have also mounted the spare wheel at the rear, still allowing a reasonable departure angle!
    I have relocated the air tanks and the exhaust tail pipe and have just obtained some air bags and manufactured some brackets for the front axle so I can lift it by 75mm and for better handling.
    Soon to blast and paint the chassis, and get the levelling system running off the pto!
    I will let you know as progress happens! Hopefully work and other problems don't get in the way!

I wish I had more time to get on with my project! Unfortunately work gets in the way, progress is slow but I have now made all the brackets for the levelling legs and everything is on order. Also I have extended the chassis.The waste water tank,house battery frame is made and a 125L fuel tank fitted with a 80L secondary tank and pumping system. The 55L lpg tank is also installed, all inboard of the chassis rails! This will leave plenty of room for the side lockers. I have also mounted the spare wheel at the rear, still allowing a reasonable departure angle!
    I have relocated the air tanks and the exhaust tail pipe and have just obtained some air bags and manufactured some brackets for the front axle so I can lift it by 75mm and for better handling.
    Soon to blast and paint the chassis, and get the levelling system running off the pto!
    I will let you know as progress happens! Hopefully work and other problems don't get in the way!

image.jpg loading rear of chassis with two tons to test suspension travel and departure angles.

iphone oct15 138.jpg[
    Starting to build the box body

Work has progressed slightly, The hydraulic leveling system is now finished! engage the PTO and operate the switches on the remote control to lower each leg as required (one in each corner) to level up, it will also lift the wheels for tyre changing, or to put traction aids under the wheel.

The box body is now fully assembled, complete with windows, but I am still waiting for the door to arrive.

There are plenty of storage lockers, but they will need painting, along with the cab.

I have extended the rear of the chassis, and fitted a LPG tank and an extra fuel tank between the chassis rails along with the house batteries, I have also fitted a larger running fuel tank.

Last edited by part time nomad; 12-09-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: copied

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast