A new vario project

part time nomad

Adventurer
It looks as though it has had a front end crash! but I removed the panels as I purchased some brand new ones from Ebay. They were from a brand new Vario that was to be converted into a bus, I got a new bumper, bonnet, wings, front panel and various bits of trim. I also took the time to treat any small rust spots.

Attachments

• IMG_2016[1].jpg
    IMG_2016[1].jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

part time nomad

Adventurer
The furniture is now almost complete, I think it looks well! I particularly wanted the kitchen sink to be inset rather than just sitting on top, that way any water on the top can get into the sink, also the cut out makes a good cover for when the sink is not in use.

I initially wanted to do the worktop in Corian and have the drainage grooves in it, but price and weight! made me think again.££

I went for a 12mm ply, doubled up at the edges for appearance, and then laminated it with Formica, then routered out for the sink from the underside leaving just the Formica Laminate with a 10mm lip that the sink was then bonded to from the underside and then supported the sink with timber underneath.

The tap is a standard household one, far more robust than the caravan type and only £30, The second tap is for filtered water. IMG_2024[1].jpg

Close up of the sink

IMG_2025[1].jpg

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Hey - I only just found this thread. Great Work!
I'd be very interested to see the detail of the jacking system and also the airbags on the front.
Did you modify the rear suspension?

Ian

part time nomad

Adventurer
Gren, I have to come clean here!

My brother is a carpenter, so I enlisted him to do the woodwork for me. The main advantage was that I could visit on a daily (or twice daily) basis to annoy him, or at least we could talk about what I want, and make changes as we go.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Ian, For some reason (my fault i`m sure) this got put on to the wrong section "Europe" not the MB trucks and I cant seem to move it, anyway my truck started just like yours, It had the PTO driven twin pump on the gearbox, I removed the larger of the 2 and adapted the small pump directly onto the PTO.

I spent a lot of time talking Carl from Gliderite, who I met at a nec show, he is the director and a really helpful guy.

We designed the system between us, with myself deciding where I wanted the rams and the amount of ground clearance, he sent me some sample rams the length I wanted and I welded on the mounting plates and made the mounting on the chassis.
He manufactured a tank to my dimensions and then sent out a guy to make up all the pipework, that is a slim 10 mm o/d.

To work the system, you start the truck, engage PTO and lower each leg as required, I had the system made so I can lower each leg separately as I prefer that, but He could do an automatic system.

Regarding the air bags on the front, I had to relocate the bump stops, and fabricated a bracket to mount to the chassis, and then made a loose fitting bracket over the spring, To control the air pressure, I used an adjustable pressure regulator and a gauge, mounted on the passenger seat base, so I can alter the ride height as required.

I have left the rear suspension as it is at the moment, mainly because I could not find an air bag slim enough to fit between the chassis and wheels, but I would like to be able to lift the rear a bit. Maybe in the future!

I will try to find some pictures and post them.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Photos would be great - both the bag system and the lifting system. Many Thanks

Edit: I've asked Haven if it would be possible to move this to the MB Truck section

Edit2: I've just looked at the Gliderite site and the cost of the Hydraulic jacks. OMG They're expensive!!!

Last edited:

part time nomad

Adventurer
IMG_2033[1].jpg

IMG_2034[1].jpg

Ian, You are right its not a cheap system, but bear in mind you don`t have to buy the electric pump & motor.

I was going to use the PTO pump for a winch but I dont think I need one or indeed, want to get into the situation of needing one!

The hydraulic legs can be used every day to level up. with the added advantage of being able to lift a wheel, to put traction material under if I do find myself in that situation.

Attachments

• IMG_2042[1].jpg
    IMG_2042[1].jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 39

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
NP - I just PM'd Haven - one of the moderators.

That's a very big air bag. Is it on minimum extension in the photo?

I ended up replacing the front springs with new 3000kg rated ones and it made a big difference to the ride.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Ian, As it sits there in the picture there is no air in it! It gives a reasonable lift when inflated, and I can adjust the pressure to suit the conditions.

I could probably find the air bag type, if you are interested.

It came with the top and bottom base`s so its quite easy to mount.

Did the new springs sort out your handling problem?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Given my expectations that it should handle like a nice car. No 😊
But it made a very big improvement at the front.
I think the rear is still too stiff. I keep toying with the idea of pulling one of the leafs. But it's a lot of work.

part time nomad

Adventurer
I think if you pulled one of the leafs it would make it sit too low, and not give enough axle movement.
I would be more inclined to fit an air bag at the rear to lift it slightly, if you can find one small enough to fit but still carry the load.

It will never drive like a car! as it is a truck based vehicle.

Just a thought! have you tried your vehicle with a pair of steer axle tyres on the front, if you can get hold of some it may well be worth giving it a try, Do you know what your axle weights are ?

IMG_1953[1].jpg

The front leveling jacks in use.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles