A new vario project

part time nomad

Adventurer
Ok, not much help there then! I have now managed to go through the process myself, Its not an easy task to do for the first time, firstly I was told by the DVLA that I would need to apply for an IVA but before that I would need to get it taxed on the chassis number (temporary) but to do that it would need to be insured, after getting some horrendous quotes (£1000) I was told by VOSA that I did not need it, but I would need a certificate of conformity from Mercedes £230.00 I then had to present at a Vosa station that did N2 class (100 miles away) it passed ok second time ( the rear crew cab window did not have the correct markings on it! I then had to fill in more forms so I could apply for an MOT. it passed first time
I then filled in more forms to apply for a registration! they were sent back as I had not notified HMRC customs that I had imported the vehicle, so I went onto the very involved and not very easy to navigate HMRC website, and filed it on line, They promptly sent me a fine of £1250.00 for late notification !! to which I appealed, thankfully they accepted my reasons and squashed the fine. I have now got all the paper work done and have a UK registration,
now for the camper coversion!

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi sorry you had to answer your own question.
Did you buy your vario through the ESB auctions as I see the Irsh ESB are disposing of vario's & 4x4 canters,
Many thanks for posting the reg process & don't forget to post up your build, I've been looking at sourcing a vario's from Germany as you don't come across many 4X4 vario's in the UK
looking forward to see what you do with yours.

regards
Gren

part time nomad

Adventurer
Gren, The truck came indirectly from the auction, I contacted a truck dealer mate of mine who has moved back to Wicklow, Ireland, and he found me one, he also had it shipped over to me, so I may have paid a bit more but it just arrived on the back of a low loader. he did an appraisal on the truck and sent me pictures, so I knew what I was getting!
It also saved me the time and cost of going to Ireland and the cost of driving it back, The cantors are a bit more modern, but as a truck mechanic I class them as a "soft truck" and its hard enough to get parts here in the UK so it could be really difficult when stranded in remote places.
Regarding the build of the camper I plan to post it up, I have tried to post some photos, (unsuccessfully!)

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 45

Gretar

Congratulations on your Vario 4x4. Excellent choice and very good "raw material for an overland camper".DSC_0448_2.jpg

part time nomad

Adventurer
Vario

Gren
I remember reading that you put a caravan body on your Vario. I actually looks quite good, I have considered that option, you can buy a brand new caravan for about 18K and its all done. I have had one quote of 13K just for the box to be made! A couple of things put me off the caravan route, one was that on the whole caravans are pretty flimsy things and I could imagine all the cupboards falling apart (have you had any problems) also how have you mounted it to the chassis?
The other thing is getting the lay out and spec that I want, and also when you start changing the fridge to compressor ect and other bits, cost will mount up.

I want to take the crew cab off mine as there will only ever be two of us in it, and then incorporate the cab as part of the living area ( but it will be able to be closed off for security.

part time nomad

Adventurer
2014-11-01 12.35.10.jpg
2014-09-16 19.22.04.jpg
Testing departure angles (the timber clamped to the back is what I am planning for the rear body storage):iagree:

My Vario and Land Rover at the Adventure Overland Show 2014:):)2014-09-28 14.03.47.jpg

Last edited:

Gretar

It was the easy and least expensive option to buy a second hand caravan half price. I had to make a mounting frame for it which is fixed to the chassis with spring bolts. I have thrown out the gas heater and gas fridge and installed a compressor fridge and Webasto air heater. So in fact the cost builds up. At the time (4yrs ago) it seemed a good idea but today I think I would choose to build a more rigid camper, designed more for our needs. I however would have to spend much more money.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Ok with that in mind I think I will continue the route of a purpose made box then.

As my truck came with a hydraulic pto pump to drive the 10500kgs winch (unfortunately it was no good) and a secondary pump for the cable lifting arms, I thought I would make use of it, so I have removed the big winch pump and fitted just the small one, this will be used to power four hydraulic legs that can be used for levelling up when camping, or lifting a wheel to change a tyre, or when stuck! so you can put rocks ect under the wheel.
That's the plan anyway!

part time nomad

Adventurer
I wish I had more time to get on with my project! Unfortunately work gets in the way, progress is slow but I have now made all the brackets for the levelling legs and everything is on order. Also I have extended the chassis.The waste water tank,house battery frame is made and a 125L fuel tank fitted with a 80L secondary tank and pumping system. The 55L lpg tank is also installed, all inboard of the chassis rails! This will leave plenty of room for the side lockers. I have also mounted the spare wheel at the rear, still allowing a reasonable departure angle!
I have relocated the air tanks and the exhaust tail pipe and have just obtained some air bags and manufactured some brackets for the front axle so I can lift it by 75mm and for better handling.
Soon to blast and paint the chassis, and get the levelling system running off the pto!
I will let you know as progress happens! Hopefully work and other problems don't get in the way!

part time nomad

Adventurer
I wish I had more time to get on with my project! Unfortunately work gets in the way, progress is slow but I have now made all the brackets for the levelling legs and everything is on order. Also I have extended the chassis.The waste water tank,house battery frame is made and a 125L fuel tank fitted with a 80L secondary tank and pumping system. The 55L lpg tank is also installed, all inboard of the chassis rails! This will leave plenty of room for the side lockers. I have also mounted the spare wheel at the rear, still allowing a reasonable departure angle!
I have relocated the air tanks and the exhaust tail pipe and have just obtained some air bags and manufactured some brackets for the front axle so I can lift it by 75mm and for better handling.
Soon to blast and paint the chassis, and get the levelling system running off the pto!
I will let you know as progress happens! Hopefully work and other problems don't get in the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles