A new vario project

part time nomad

Adventurer
Does anyone have any information on a diagnostics or code reader for the round port of a Mercedes Vario 814 da 2002, i think it might be handy to have one.

part time nomad

Adventurer
CHINESE TYRES!! After a blow out of a rear tyre, I think I will purchase a set of new Firestones.

I am looking at the FD600 drive axle tyres, they are not recommended for the steer axle, but as the front does both drive and steer, I was wondering if anyone has expierience of these on the front?

What I dont want to do is make the steering feel awful.

Attachments

• IMG_3475[1].JPG
    IMG_3475[1].JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 26

grapework

Does anyone have any information on a diagnostics or code reader for the round port of a Mercedes Vario 814 da 2002, i think it might be handy to have one.

I bought a laptop based C3 star system of a chap who does obd tools. Worked on my sprinter but not my 09 Vario, seller was really helpful and sent alternative hard drive to try, but in the end he refunded me as could not get working. Would like to get some sort of diagnostic tool too.

grapework

CHINESE TYRES!! After a blow out of a rear tyre, I think I will purchase a set of new Firestones.

I am looking at the FD600 drive axle tyres, they are not recommended for the steer axle, but as the front does both drive and steer, I was wondering if anyone has expierience of these on the front?

What I dont want to do is make the steering feel awful.

and I'm looking at tyres too! What size are you looking for? I have 205/ on 17.5 rim. Thinking maybe 9.5r which are a bit bigger and will reduce engine speed a bit, just not sure if will affect handling and braking...

Sitec

Adventurer
Re drive tyres on the steer axle, I don't see a prob with it. I'm running Goodyear Omnitrac drives all round on my 12 tonner and it didn't change anything drive wise. A slight noise increase but not much.. When you think of all the 4x4's running luggy off road tyres on the front axle without issue, I'd think you would be fine.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Thanks Sitec, I am going to swap the drive axle tyres onto the front give it a run round to see what its like, but I think its the way to go.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Hello Grapework, I am looking for 9.5 R17.5 as that`s what I have now, but mines 4 wheel drive, so came on that size.
I am looking at Fulda tyres at the moment but they are not cheap!!!

Be careful about changing the final gearing to much, I did this on a Land Rover and it was hard to get it in top gear sometimes, the manufacturer spends a lot of time getting it right!!! but sometimes you can tweek it a bit to your needs.

If you want to try it though, I could probably sort you a set of good second hand 9.5 s

grapework

Thanks for the offer. I think I have convinced myself the slight advantage of lower revs would just give slightly better fuel consumption, but I would rather have better braking, so will get some new 205s.
Had the speed limiter removed recently, now very easy cruising about 62, about 1950rpm I think.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Decided to go for the Fulda Ecotrans tyres in 9.5 R17.5 ordered direct from Germany they are a drive axle tyre but then the front axle drives! So should be ok?
They appear similar to the Michelins that were on it originally (but cheaper)

part time nomad

Adventurer
Anyone got any recomendations for a compressor fridge freezer, my webasto cr165 has packed up, webasto has sent me a new one but it had been dropped by the carrier and damaged the frame casing, they are offering me 10% discount!!!!

It needs to be a fridge freezer 1200 mm high

part time nomad

Adventurer
I managed to get a 50% discount in the end!
Just got to get it fitted in, and fit an extra cooling fan to draw cool air from under the truck now.

part time nomad

Adventurer
I currently have two 100ah gel batteries from a Nokia phone project, they are starting to struggle a bit in bad weather, in fact they went into shut down in the middle of the night last weekend! they recovered quickly during the day, with solar and driving charge, but although successfully charged during the day they are beginning to struggle during northern Europe (post Brexit) winter.

I have ordered a Victron MPPT solar charger to replace my pwm, but I am trying to decide on Lithium batteries two time Sterling 120AH seem to be favourite at the the moment as they are considerably cheaper than Victron does anyone have information or recommendations either way?

The largest consumer is the compressor fridge @ 24hour 600 w that would mean the fridge would run for 5 days without any external charge or any other usage, ie water pump or lighting.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
We’re putting in 400ah of winston lithium’s with Victron chargers/inverter, and SmartBMS 123. If I had the cash I would have gone Victron everything, but this way worked out much cheaper.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Interesting! I have been looking at various Lithium, but uk. Did you get the Winstons from a uk supply?
I run my house batteries at 24 volt, & winston don`t recommend running in series. so I would need to link 8 x 3.2 cells that maybe ok but seems a bit messy.

btw. thanks for your input, are you UK based?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles