Hayes diesel dual-sport

scarysharkface

Explorer
I would love a chance to ride one. I'm not real twisty on the throttle, but instead like to chug along slowly which sounds like something that bike would have the torque to do very well.. Love the KLR, btw..

John

lamontagne

Adventurer
I was at Bagram AB, Afghanistan in 2004 as a civy contractor. Those bikes were everywhere, in use by the Brits, the US, Aussies, and Italians.

Reason being, diesel was the ONLY fuel available in the ENTIRE COUNTRY! :Wow1:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have had this idea about combining a BMW bike and a 800cc 3cyl turbo diesel aluminum smart car engine floating around in my head for a few years......

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hayes Diversified Technologies developed and is manufacturing a diesel-powered motorcycle:

L_JP8_military.jpg

Hayes plans eventually to sell these to the public. Here's the link to their web pages.

http://www.hdtusa.com/home.htm

Chip Haven

I know where there are about 30-40 of these diesel USMC KLR's in various conditions from piles of parts to rows of complete bikes that look like runners... in a lot with about an inch of dust on them basically rotting away.

I'm watching the DRMO activity on base because once that lot empties... that means they have been taken to DRMO in San Diego... and they will go for cheap :)

BTW, the USMC is still using these AFAIK.

805gregg

Adventurer
I think for a person to want one of these; it is because you just really want diesel vs. gas, regardless of performance.

Obvilously the performance sucks.

In my case I just like the option of using bio-diesel. But, I guess if it weren't for our dependance on oil for gas, we might not be in the middle east, and therefore the the military would have never requested the developement of such a bike from HDT.

The military wanted a one fuel fleet, reguardless of where in the world they are. But in most of the world gas is plentifull and cheap, a lot cheaper than spending millions to have a diesel KLR (allready out of date at the start of their project).

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I guess one advantage to a diesel bike is its range. With a standard range of 630 miles + whatever extra you can carry makes it possible to go places where no other bike could go without back up.
Of course these kind of places are diminishing as humans expand into new territory,but there is still a few desert crossings in australia where this bike would be king.

Frank

Explorer
I just got out of the Marine Corps. Back in 2006 I was selected to get my operator permit for the M1030. Our unit had about 8 of these bikes, and I was one of the few licensed riders for them. They were going to be sent off for the diesel conversion, however I never saw that happen.

I first had to go through the abate course (both the pavement and the dirt bike school) on the bike, and then my unit was going to send me to the "follow on" school for the actual bike course that the military has. The "highest license" I had obtained for the bike only allowed me to ride on pavement and pre-made trails. Long story short, our funding for the follow-on school fell through, so I was never able to attend, but running the abate courses on the bike was a blast. I was really looking forward to the follow-on course. From what I was told, its extremely difficult and only has a 20% completion rate. The course is just insane...again from what I was told.

The bike is purely designed for one thing in mind, and that's for messenger purposes. Its cheaper and easier for a commander to send 1 or 2 people out on a bike than sending 2 or 4 guys out in a hummvee. Its cheap to run, its way easier to maintain, it can go more places, and its more versatile. I was a comm guy, and we had guys sent out to various remote places all of the time. Taking them small items...it was much easier for them to send me on a bike rather than load up a hummvee and all of the fun stuff that went along with operating a hummvee.

Any other questions about the bike, ill be more than happy to do my best to answer, from personal experience.

-Frank

Frank

Explorer
Someone is always going to have something to say about everything. My experiences with the KLR will lead me to purchase one as soon as I am able to.

Frank

Explorer
That little vid didnt talk about 90% of the course...if I remeber correctly, the course is almost 2 weeks long.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I think the only cool thing about it so far is the zombie apocalypse appeal. Diesels can run on zombie juice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior