Hayes diesel dual-sport

wparkinson

Hey all.. This is my second post on here and again I figure I will post something I know about. I currently have a 2005 KLR. People can say what they want about this bike but it is damn strong. No its not a KTM but it doesn't come with the manitance schedule that KTM or other EURO bikes do.

The Hayes bike is Freaking awsome. I have seen both the old model and the new model. They are sweet.. The 100+ mpg is nice. I saw them up close at a show back a couple months ago. I spoke with the reps and was impressed with what they had to say. I really enjoyed talking to them. They were suprised at my knowledge of the bike. Now I am no expert... but I do know the KLR... It is a strong bike and I can get almost 50 mpg out of my gas bike. I could probably do better if I kept off the throttle.

Hayse did day that they were going to try and get the civvy model out this year but I doubt teh price will be worth the milage. They are sweet though.

Just my .02 worth...

WP

crusader

Adventurer
Well, it's interesting that this thread has resurfaced now. I just got done reading Long Way Round and am halfway through Long Way Down, the books about Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's worldwide trips on BMW Adventure bikes. This got me to thinking that ANYONE can make the same trips if they had enormous sponsorship and a 5 man support team (including doctors and local "fixers") following them around in 2 support vehicles. But what about the ordinary people without gobs of cash to waste?

I got to thinking that it wouldn't be that difficult, logistically speaking, EXCEPT that there would be stretches well beyond the range of a bike, where fuel would be unavailable (unless you had fuel following you around in a support vehicle).

Perhaps for all it's performance shortcomings, the range of a diesel bike alone could make it a better choice for certain unsupported expeditions?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I spoke with the owners of HDT at the recent USMC West Expo at Camp Pendleton.

They had a 2008+ KLR looking version there (saweet!) and the MSRP is going to be around $18,000... wait for it...

Due to be released for civilian purchase by late summer 2010 :wings:

Not kidding, that word was straight from HDT.

r_w

Adventurer
I am not holding my breath. I hope it is true but I have heard it before...

An 08+ diesel with an upgraded alternator would be AWESOME, whether for RTW or daily commuting. Get me enough power for heated clothing and I would ride every day without ice.

805gregg

Adventurer
Now I am no expert... but I do know the KLR... It is a strong bike and I can get almost 50 mpg out of my gas bike. I could probably do better if I kept off the throttle.

If you kept off the throttle you wouldn't move at all, the funniest sight I've ever seen was when I was going west on 41 heading from the I-5 to the 101 I saw a KLR heading east down in a crouch going flat out as fast as he could with a semi truck right on his bumper. I'll bet he wished he had more hp. Speaking of hp check out Highland Motors USA a great bike now built in Tulsa OK. They have a 950cc dual sport at about 100 hp and it weighs under 400#, less than the new KLR's. these are great bikes with Brembo brakes and all top suspension parts. I want one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz