Samsung galaxy tab pro?

RKraft

Observer
Hi I am looking at purchasing a Samsung galaxy tab pro 8.4" or 10.1" for navigation and also for basic emails, web surfing etc for an extra internet device for family. I have always had android phones and devices so I am use to them. My question is has any one used one yet for this and would I also benefit using a bluetooth gps with it, something like the bad-elf gps? I know the bad-elf is for apple products but something along these lines. I am new to this but am looking to start taking family exploring and camping. Starting to plan a expo tent trailer build also but that is another project. Thank you for any advice or opinions.

Randy

Aussie T

Overland Journal Ringin
Randy.

I have the 8.4 Pro, set up with a RAM mount it is really handy. There are a number of GPS programs on the market and you dont need a external GPS, you just have to ensure that you have a way of powering the tablet in the car as it does chew through the batter pretty quickly.

The Pro is great if you are going to use it heavily.. It allows for multi tasking, ie have a GPS program running be looking for somewhere to stay.

Only downside to the Pro is that it is not mobile data enabled, meaning that you would ether have to tether to your phone or find Wi-Fi if you wanted to download maps or do anything internet related.

RKraft

Observer
Aussie T
Thank you for the reply. The reason for asking about using a gps via bluetooth was if cell service was not available. I think I decided on the tab pro 10.1, I looked at a few different ones at the big box store this last weekend. Really liked the pro over the tab3. I post up my setup when I get it done. Thanks again
Randy

Aussie T

Overland Journal Ringin
Randy.

GPS and Cell service are completely separate, this means that even if you have a device that cant connect to the cell network, like the Pro, you will still be able to use GPS, if it has a GPS chip, like the pro. Some devices will use what they call Assisted GPS (A-GPS) that is when it will use wi-fi or cell towers to assist in getting your location. If you have any other questions feel free to fire away.

Troy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles