Weatherguard Drawers + Harbor Freight Trailer Build

JS114

Finally decided to join after years of lurking and drooling over your builds.

I snagged a Weatherguard 338-3 Drawer unit for $300. It measures 48"Dx40"Wx12.5"H. I am thinking of mounting it to a Harbor Freight trailer and calling that a start to my trailer. Budget is tight...

2014-03-28.jpg
01717_6sDMFvs7Jst_600x450.jpg

What to do next is up in the air. We don't do hardcore wheeling; forest service roads in North Georgia, TN, SC, and NC are about it. Mostly for camping, but we'd like to be able to bring our kayaks and mtn bikes with us. I'd like to be able to put some things on top and was thinking of attaching a basket for that, something simple.

It's being pulled by a 2001 Land Cruiser with a sleeping platform, but I will eventually need more sleeping space for the kids, so maybe a RTT is in the future.

I'd love to figure out a way for the trailer to have full size Toyota rims so we can share a spare.

Suggestions and comments are appreciated. I'll post pictures once I have it cleaned up and mounted to a trailer.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
That would be SWEET on a HF trailer. Mount a basket or bars for the kayak on top and call it done.

The axle can be swapped out, or adapters bough to run Different wheels. May need different springs or some different fenders to make the wheels work well.

bonomonster

Adventurer
I love your idea......

Check out Spidertrax for adapters to go from the HF trailer laugh pattern to a hub-centric Toyota pattern

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Liked your idea so much I tried to copy it. Just missed a drawer on CL. I'll keep looking...

JS114

I got started on assembly last night. I had to narrow the trailer by about 8 inches to get it to match the box. I was able to align the corners and cross-member bolts on the trailer with the mounting points on the drawers, so I know it'll be square and it's going to be extremely rigid. I'm also going add a receiver hitch to the back for a bike rack and stabilizer jacks to address the tipping concerns when the drawer is opened. I picked up some Yakima racks to put on top (may mount a basket to those if I can find one cheap) and will probably put something on the tongue to hold Jerry cans and cooler. Once it's done, it will need a coat of paint or maybe Line-X.
photo1.jpg
One concern: the axle is going to be pretty long now that I narrowed the frame 8". On the plus side, I plan to run full-size wheels and tires, so this will eliminate the need for wheel spacers. On the negative side, is this going to put too much strain on the axle? Am I better off with a shorter axle and wheel spacers? Is there a difference?

java

Expedition Leader
No you will be fine with the stock axle. Many people shorten the frames to 40" for the dinoot trailers.

SamM

Adventurer
You want to make sure that you match the width of your trailer wheels to the same width as your Land Cruiser wheels. You may still need spacers to do that and get the correct bolt pattern.

What a great idea, adding the drawers to the Harbor Freight trailer! Kudos for coming up with that! I am always amazed with the ideas that people come up with on this site.

SamM

JS114

It's coming along. Today I decided that Land Cruiser wheels weren't in the budget and their 5x150 bolt pattern is near impossible to find, so I decided I'd go with 5x4.5 wheels and get a single adapter that I'll keep with the Land Cruiser in the event I need to use the LC spare on the trailer. I managed to find these Ford Explorer rims that are pretty close to mine (16x7 vs 16x8) for $10 ea at my local Pull-a-Part salvage yard.

wheels.jpg

After visiting 5 used tire places and being unable to match my 285/75R16 BFG A/Ts, I came upon a woman at the 6th place who was replacing two 285/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts with 20% tread left. I told her I'd save her the disposal fee and had the guy mount them for $15. They should last me until two of my tires are down to 50%, at which time I'll have them put on the trailer.

wheels.jpg

They look huge. I may end up flipping the axle to get the box to ride a little lower. Fenders are going to be a challenge...

Up next is having the spring perches moved and I still have to install the backbone and mount the rear receiver hitch.

screwball48

Explorer
Keep an eye open for the "L" shaped side mount truck boxes. You could mound them to the sides of the drawer and use them for the top of your fenders then hang mud flaps behind the tires for the rear of your fenders.

JS114

I'm actually looking for a set of top-mount boxes that I can mount to the sides of the drawers, above the tires. That would give me a fender top as well as create two sides of a shallow bed on top of the drawers. They don't show up on Craigslist often. I'd need a pair of them, 48" long. I think that's what the Adventure Trailers kitchen add-on is built in.

Hloadedsl.jpg

screwball48

Explorer
I have been eyeballing a few boxes and contemplating a combination of your design and RNArmy's design. The boxes that I was thinking of are like these.
by6edaqa.jpg

The ones that I believe you are referring to Look similar to these.
qepy6a4u.jpg

JS114

Axle done and trailer flip right-side-up!

Exciting day here...the trailer is upright!

I was able to get a co-worker to weld up my axle perches. They were moved in 4 7/16", precluding the need for wheel spacers. I'll still need an adapter for the spare, but I found a shop that will make me one for $60 (or I can buy a pair for $105, anyone want to split a pair of 5x4.5 to 5x150 adapters???).

I need to figure out fenders. I can order a pair from a trailer builder I saw on here for $100, but looking at the ones that came with the trailer, they seem so easy to fab up...alas, I don't have a metal brake. I'll have to see what I can do today.

Still to do:
  • install backbone
  • bolt tongue to frame
  • install fenders
  • mount Yakima landing pads
  • investigate top-mount tool boxes (scrap yard search)
  • paint

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 106

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member