FG84 Camper Build

Maninga

Adventurer
Just got off the phone with the Styromax. Jobs in their system, final quote's been accepted, deposit gets paid next week and their design work starts. They're doing the spring mounted subframe, shell, windows, 2 access hatches for under bed storage and custom entry door. The aluminum used for door and hatch surrounds will be thermally broken to reduce condensation formation and cold inside. Roof and floors will both be 30mm panels, stairs will be insulated and they'll work to ensure this can all fit into a highcube shipping container. Will come with the engineering documentation required to keep Vic Roads happy and LED taillights wired up also embedded in the body.

Their construction method for this is going to be interesting. The main walls will be 80mm panels cut down to 30mm where the roof slides down, leaving a gap for the runners. The roof will be constructed in stages, side runners first made to move up/down, front/rear sections added then all made to move up/down, finally putting the roof panel in and all made to move up/down together. They'll do this movement initially using a crane before I add the actuators later.

They make their panels from scratch, so mounting plates will be embedded into the panel before fiberglass is glued on for cupboards, bed frame supports, roof-racks, actuators and the like. If I could figure out a wiring diagram, conduit can be added into the panels also, but haven't got that bit figured out yet. All the panels will be made out of blue Dow structural foam covered in fiberglass, all sourced from Europe.

Rear wheel carrier, under subframe storage and extra fuel tanks will all need to be added in later.

Maninga

Adventurer
Time for an update. The truck was slowly moving its way down the project cue over the last month, but something finally started happening.

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

Subframe is in progress. I've been chatting to them several times this week and last, number of small details, measurements and working out clearances to make it fit what we want. Probably the biggest change we've made is around the stairs. Felt there wasn't quite enough ground clearance with how I originally had them, so they've been made 20cm high rather than 30cm high each. Means I lose out on the door height, so either a split door or hiding the door when the roofs down will have to happen. I like the idea of being able to open the top half of a door when parked for the breeze, but lower section closed. Sealing might be a pain though, so'll likely just use a solid door and hide some.

Small issue with clearance came up, front of the subframe where front bar would have hit the air cleaner. Just substituted smaller tube and came out good.

Subframe should be finished next week. They'll then take final measurements off it and do the camper design work.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Subframe is in progress. I've been chatting to them several times this week and last, number of small details, measurements and working out clearances to make it fit what we want. Probably the biggest change we've made is around the stairs. Felt there wasn't quite enough ground clearance with how I originally had them, so they've been made 20cm high rather than 30cm high each. Means I lose out on the door height, so either a split door or hiding the door when the roofs down will have to happen. I like the idea of being able to open the top half of a door when parked for the breeze, but lower section closed. Sealing might be a pain though, so'll likely just use a solid door and hide some.

Small issue with clearance came up, front of the subframe where front bar would have hit the air cleaner. Just substituted smaller tube and came out good.

Subframe should be finished next week. They'll then take final measurements off it and do the camper design work.

How is the subframe mounted? I see the spring mount at the front but it looks like solid mounts towards the rear?

Maninga

Adventurer
How is the subframe mounted? I see the spring mount at the front but it looks like solid mounts towards the rear?

Yeah, it's 2 spring mounts at the front, 2 fixed at the rear. First thought I had when I saw it was, that second fixed point will form a stress point, but they've assured me it's been stress tested on the truck. Will be asking to run a couple of tests when I head up there closer to completion, getting it crossed up and with one one wheel raised by forklift up high. Just to get a better level of comfort.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Yeah, it's 2 spring mounts at the front, 2 fixed at the rear. Frat thought I had when I saw it was, that second fixed point will form a stress point, but they've assured me it's been stress tested on the truck. Will be asking to run a couple of tests when I head up there closer to completion, getting it crossed up and with one one wheel raised by forklift up high. Just to get a better level of comfort.

Ah okay, I'm going to be doing mine the opposite way around - fixed in front, flex in the rear.

gait

Explorer
nice work.

Another of those "do I or don't I ask" questions - what happens when the chassis bends. In normal driving conditions I observe a couple of inches when I hit a pothole or simply a bump in the road. I keep looking at the the first angle (from the rear) and wonder at the clearance for dynamic loads but can't see enough from the photos.

Maninga

Adventurer
Is the plan to have the camper floor on the same plane as the stepped upper section of the frame?

No, camper will have a step in it. Kitchen and bathroom will be on the raised portion, plumbing and some storage will be hidden inside a covering that squares off the step. I was originally going to put the bed at the front, but wouldn't work because of my steps. Had thought of putting seating up there, but window position would have been out of line of sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles