Tent for long term use

RobThomson

Hi all,

I'm in the planning stage for a project that will hopefully see me living and working in NW Namibia for the next three years. Pretty much the entire time I'm going to be living in a tent, and I'll be moving 2-3 times every week, so everything is going to be clipped, unclipped, slid, folded, rolled, zipped, etc. etc. many hundreds of times. I'm pretty sure that 99+% of tents aren't intended for this, and frankly I'd be amazed if I didn't a) need repairs/new poles from time to time, and b) may need an entire new tent somewhere in the middle.

Most of the time it will be just me, but sometimes they'll be two of us, plus some kit. I'm therefore looking at 3-man tents. I'll have a Hilux with me at all times, so weight isn't critical, but anything really heavy will be a pain for me to put up solo... especially again and again. I absolutely do not want a roof tent - there'll be a lot of times I'll need to drive in the evening and night, and will want a base camp already established.

Weather-wise, I'm looking at mainly hot and dry, arid conditions. In the rainy season however, there may be short sharp downpours of up to 1mm/minute for half an hour or so, or continuously light rain all night.

Given how long I'll be using it, price isn't too critical. I want quality here. So far I've had two recommendations (see below), but I'm happy to hear more, or get comments on these two. I'll probably be shopping in Britain, and both so far are from European companies, but if there's a better option out there I definitely want to hear about it.

So, so far it's either the heavy duty version of the Terra Nova Super Quasar, or the Asylum III RTD from Jack Wolfskin (unfortunately only available in unsubtle red).

Many thanks for any and all tips,

Rob

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I can't advise you on tents available in Europe but I notice two things in your criteria.

SIZE: In your place I would get a 4-person tent. This will give you more space for changing clothes and for a second person. A three-person tent isn't as big as it sound. I would also get a tall cot for greater comfort for sleeping, sitting, and changing clothes. I use a four-person tent for camping alone with a cot and the size feels perfect.

CLIMATE: Hot conditions call for a maximum amount of mesh. Neither of the tents you mention appear to have much mesh.

DURABILITY: I don't think there is a nylon tent that would last three years of constant use. Read about durability here: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=112404 Notice
8 to 20 weeks" with constant sun exposure. I think you should have a plan for replacing your tent a few times during the three-year period.

overlander

Expedition Leader
For high mobility, there is a reason why RTT's are king in Africa. That said, if you insist on a ground tent, sounds like the modular OzTent RV family of tents are the ideal for you.

XTorrey

Observer
If you weren't completely against a roof tent, I would think a Flip Pac would be a good option. Leaves your Hilux bed available for gear, has a space to hang an additional hammock, and can be deployed in less time than a ground tent.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I would also suggest the oztent. I have one, and if I was going to live in a tent like in your situations it's what I'd choose, if I had to choose a ground tent.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I would also go for an Oztent, I have setup a 4 person size one by my self a number of times and the canvas stays cool in the Arizona desert yet will keep of the rain with no problems.
Also the front gives good shade for sitting outside yet staying dry.

It will pack nicely in the bed of a truck, the stowed shape is goofy for most people with an SUV as it is long/narrow but for a truck bed it is perfect.

I would also agree on the cot use as you get storage under the cot so you end up with more useful space than you think. However please use cut bits of foam sleep pad or something under the feet of your cot to protect the tent floor.

While an Oztent didn't work for me, I really think it meets all your needs.

RobThomson

Wow! That's more responses than I expected, and clearly leaves me with more research to do :)

I'm going to check out some of the brands people have suggested, and may post back with more questions.

Thank you all!

Rob

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Rob - perhaps check some Military-surplus outlets? Maybe you can find a decent deal there.

Also - need a driver or assistant? Sounds like a GREAT adventure! :D

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Just thinking about your having to put a tent up/down several hundred times.
What about a heavy canvas tent on a trailer? Roof top style on an adventure trailer. They LOOK easier to take up and down than threading poles and driving stakes all of the time. Your bedding is always ready and you could travel about in the Hilux and have base camp set up for when you return. Would a tent off of the ground keep snakes/rodents and such out easier?
If I had to do this as many times as you are going to have to one of the factors I would be looking into would be ease and quickness of set up....especially by yourself.

Just thoughts

Darrell

Last edited:

TGAMO

Observer
We have a Terra Nova - Extra Heavy Duty Cosmos, Over 6' at the center inside - it is the best tent i have ever seen or been around. Just an incredible piece of equipment, we use it on a consistent basis and have never seen any signs of degradation due to UV problems at all. We treat it with a product recommended by Terra-Nova. We have owned this tent for over 8 years.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/heavy-duty-cosmos-tent/

Last edited:

Streaky

Observer
If you're putting the tent up and down up and down...then the clam shell is the best option. Less than ten seconds to erect...less than twenty seconds to put down. With any other design you'll be spending more time doing tent stuff than anything else.
The Autohome Columbus is probably the quickest tent on the market in this respect. I've used one for three years in the Deserts of the Middle East and the Sahara. No condensation issues. Ventilation is a breeze by unzipping the side windows (pun intended)....they can take a battering in the high winds and during -2 nights I found them very good at insulating me from the outside world.
You can pack two sleeping bags and two pillows inside when travelling which lightens the load in the baggage department.

The draw backs...extra height, initial cost is high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94