Keeping the Isuzu revoultion going...

bootzilla

Adventurer
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say hey. I just bought an '02 Trooper, and in looking for off-road info on them, I came across Scott's Trooper, and he made sure I checked out the forum.

Trooper2.jpg

I can't wait to get started - I am going to do manual hubs, I am changing the radio, so I will swap out the CD Changer for a CB, and I am going to mod the center diff to make it electronically lockable in 4-Hi.

After that comes the wish list (in this order): Tires, Rock Sliders, OME lift, then when I win the lottery a front Air Locker (maybe a bumper too if I win big).

Two questions for everyone - is there a place where I could find a set of 5-spokes cheap for off-road tires?

The second - I saw a few threads talking about sliders - I am trying to find it, but at one point I saw someone who had designed a semi-bolt-on slider. He welded small mounting flanges on the frame, then had a slick-looking bar that bolted to the flanges, making them easy to remove/repair/replace. Not a true bolt-on, but there was a minimum of welding to the frame involved. Anyone know where to find plans for a design like that??

Thanks!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Todd, welcome! :luxhello: Congrats on your purchase, you made a wise choice:clapsmile . With the '02 you should not have the oil usage issue, but the same great motor. As far as five spoke wheels I would try Ebay, I see OEM Isuzu 5 spokes on there all the time, and usually for a pretty good price. I just can't seem to find my particular wheels, bummer:( Get rid of the CD changer before it gives up on you, and you can sell it on Ebay for a decent amount of money. I think the sliders you are talking about are available at Shrockworks or Independant4x, but I am not sure. Go to my thread and on there somewhere there is talk about sliders. It will be fun to watch you build your Trooper. Manual hubs are also coming up for my Trooper very soon. I need new tires first, then the OME expedition heavy suspension.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Welcome to the forum Todd :beer:

Nice trooper! Your plans sound great.

Sorry I can't help with you questions.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Thanks guys :jumping:

I've got plenty of experience working on Troopers - my dad has owned nothing but Troopers for 20 years (an '86, a '94, and currently a '98) so hopefully I can be of help, too.

I do have a question about the OME - is there any on-street difference between the meduim duty, heavy duty and expedition duty kits? I would assume that the spring rates and the shocks are a bit more firm on the heavier-duty kits, but does it start to degrade the on-road ride with the heavier kits?

Thanks

Scott Brady

Founder
The OME 912 (medium) will give the best ride. Heavy is better for camping loads.

Go with the firm shocks regardless. Best overall ride and control :)

Glad to see you on the forum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94