Lightest rear swingout bumper for 2nd gen tacoma?

Explorer
I just want two jerry cans mounted flat, a trasharoo, and a fold down table on a rear swingout. The bumpers I'm finding seem very well made and HEAVY! Are there any lightweight quality options?

Thanks!

bat

Explorer
I was in the same boat and decided to build my own design to fit my needs. I would plan a design and take it to a shop for cost or learn to weld and have fun.

002.jpg

Explorer
Awesome Bat!

Thankfully I can weld, so I'll probably go that route. I haven't looked at the structure inside the stock bumper, I just assumed there wouldn't be anything strong enough to handle a swingout. Did you reinforce the bumper, or build your own mount for the spindle?

How sturdy is that setup, and where did you source the bushings, spindle and latch? Sorry for all the questions but I'm jacked:wings:

One advantage to replacing the stock bumper with something a litter heavier would be the ability to hi-lift jack from either end.

robert

Expedition Leader
Is that Photoshopped or real? The factory rear bumper on my '05 is pretty flimsy and can be moved by hand; in fact, mine is bent up on the right side after a minor bump against a chunk of concrete (I should have waited on the stupid woman who blocked me in to return to her car or just pushed it out of the way instead of trying to get around her; either way, still my fault).

bat

Explorer
This is under the bumper, not sure how much weight saving. High lift can be mounted in the center of the swingout or on the rack

014.JPG

015.jpg

595.jpg

GhostRing

Observer
@bat I like that!
How much clearance for everything? on my 3rd gen T4R, the hitch/frame moves at a different rate than the body/bumper

mtndude23

Observer
It's funny, I was just thinking about a swing out mounted this way. I wonder what the weight limit would be on that. I'll probably just build a whole new bumper anyway.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I've seen bat's truck in person. He's made some really fantastic custom mods. Good taste, style. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior