Anyone have pix of how they mounted solar panels

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I finally got around to installing my Grape Solar 100W Flex panel. Time will tell if the mounting holds up. So far, it seems pretty decent. I like the panel, low profile, light weight, and works fairly well.

More pictures at my gallery here.

Could you just replace the zip ties with hose clamp style?

i like the setup but I do worry about shadowing on panel in lower sun days.

unseenone

Explorer
I have to say, the panel is working awesome. I've been very impressed with the way it performs. There is no shadowing really it looks like there would be, but it's an illusion. There is enough space side to side and front so it does not get any shadows. This particular panel works best when facing the sun, but I have been impressed. At this time of year, I can pull it out of the garage and get charge from 10 or so until after 6., though it will float pretty quick if I'm not drawing any extra power.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
solar.jpg

Ours are mounted ~110mm off the roof of the camper to provide additional cooling for the panels and to keep the interior temps in the camper down. Mounting flexible (or glass) panels directly to the roof will cause a loss in output due to additional heat. These guys https://nebula.wsimg.com/067a0b086b...C3057D53E066A8205&disposition=0&alloworigin=1 did some testing and found as little as a 21mm gap provided an additional 9% output in side by side testing.

View attachment 280386

Ours are mounted ~110mm off the roof of the camper to provide additional cooling for the panels and to keep the interior temps in the camper down. Mounting flexible (or glass) panels directly to the roof will cause a loss in output due to additional heat. These guys https://nebula.wsimg.com/067a0b086b...C3057D53E066A8205&disposition=0&alloworigin=1 did some testing and found as little as a 21mm gap provided an additional 9% output in side by side testing.
Good to know and thanks!

crusaderJK

Adventurer
A friend made custom mounts for my 80W panel.
It is mounted to the hood hinges and the holes for that footman loop on the Wrangler hoods.

brackets.jpg
hood1.jpg
hood2.jpg

geordie4x4

Observer
I thought that I should add an update.

This is my latest version of hard top roof tent (James Baroud) with two 110 W thin 3 mm, high efficiency E20 cells, semi flexible plastic solar panels glued on top. I have spent five months in the last year travelling around Australia with no problems from this solar panel set up. It is running the fridge permanently and charging top up to the main batteries when parked.

27082-dsc-3004crop.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer

This is my latest version of hard top roof tent (James Baroud) with two 110 W thin 3 mm, high efficiency E20 cells, semi flexible plastic solar panels glued on top. I have spent five months in the last year travelling around Australia with no problems from this solar panel set up. It is running the fridge permanently and charging top up to the main batteries when parked.

Any further details on how you routed the wiring down to accommodate the RTT lifting? Happy with the adhesion of the glue?

Notice any effects from flush mounting and heat load reducing the panel rating?

I have an autohome hardshell and want to do something similar. I can't believe the RTT hard shell makers aren't all over doing some of this as options for their systems. The baroud is getting closer with their extreme having a pocket for luggage,etc that could be used to place panels.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD

27082-dsc-3004crop.jpg

Super interested in some more information on your setup if you care to share! :)

Fatma

Hi , I also have a James baroud and want to avoid drilling holes in it , so did you end up buying it and if yes how did you install the solar panels on it ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior