Anyone have pix of how they mounted solar panels

notajeep

Observer
This is how I did mine. I used cheap panels for proof of concept and will upgrade if all goes well.
vumaryry.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

jays0n

Adventurer
I used 80/20 to build a slide out for the panel, the tent isn't shown but it will be above the panel so the slide out will be necessary. 80/20 isn't cheap but it's fun and super easy to work with, like an erector set :)

jays0n

Adventurer
I got it all from 80/20's ebay store, their username is 8020inc and they should have everything there you need. I used the 1.5 inch heavy wall 15 series extrusion with a linear bearing on the top and bottom rails (total of 4 bearings with brakes on the rear ones only). If you drop them a line and show the photos of what I did I'm sure they could build you a materials list. I'll warn you though, the stuff isn't cheap. The long pieces are but the bearings are pretty pricey, $35 each I believe. I could have probably done it cheaper but this was so easy it was worth the cost to me. There are more photos on my build thread.

Last edited:

unseenone

Explorer
128Watts of Unisolar Peel & Stick:

View attachment 219962

With regard to the unisolar peel & stick, which indeed look very interesting. Are there any other sizing options and how do they work if one or multiple cells are in the shade. I would love to install something like this, but I want to do it under my roof rack, on the glass roof, and only in a couple of spots, so I don't block out the sun roof.

The total roof space is about 41"x53". The idea situation would be a panel or about 40 x 20, or 40x something less than 20".

Very cool looking installation, how does it work, how is it configured?

Alternatively, I could mount something on the roof rack, but it would need to be movable. I'm looking for compact, neat and reliable ideas.

MINO

Adventurer
With regard to the unisolar peel & stick, which indeed look very interesting. Are there any other sizing options and how do they work if one or multiple cells are in the shade. I would love to install something like this, but I want to do it under my roof rack, on the glass roof, and only in a couple of spots, so I don't block out the sun roof.

The total roof space is about 41"x53". The idea situation would be a panel or about 40 x 20, or 40x something less than 20".

Very cool looking installation, how does it work, how is it configured?

Alternatively, I could mount something on the roof rack, but it would need to be movable. I'm looking for compact, neat and reliable ideas.

You are very limited in size options. I have 2 68w panels which measure 110" x 14.5 each (too long for your needs). The 68w are the smallest offering I've found (only old stock available online - i believe they are out of business). They work surprisingly well in the shade. I was parked in full shade on my last trip to Lake Tahoe, and was still seeing 1 amp of charging. The top layer is textured in a way to grab light laterally.

I have them connected to a hub on the roof, which leads down to a Sunforce 30Amp controller inside.
I'd go with one more Unisolar on the front if they made a square(ish) one in 136w.

Can't beat the ease of install, being able to walk on them and being so low-profile.

zoblo

Observer
I had yakima tracks installed on the roof of my camper when bought it. I made some brackets out of aluminum angle and attached the solar panel (85) watts to the tracks using the yakima track hardware, basically the plates that slip into the track and some stainless bolts that are used to fastened down the brackets.

Attachments

• DSCN2790enlarged.jpg
    DSCN2790enlarged.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 166

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles