Smallest refillable propane bottle?

summerprophet

Adventurer
The thing about refilling the little one pounders is this: you are not licensed to fill pressurized gas containers, nor do you have a. Volume gauge to tell you how full the small tank is.

By law (and design), propane cylendars can only be filled to 80% of capacity. This is to allow an expansion buffer in the event the tank is dropped, or you fill it somewhere high and cold, and transport it to somewhere low and hot.

quickfarms

Adventurer
The 1 pound disposable tanks are not designed for the stress that pressurizing, filling it, and depressurizing, emptying it, creates. The metal is thinner and can fail from these repeated cycles.

The standard BBQ tank is a 20LB size, 5 gallons.

Home Depot lists a 11LB and a 4.25LB tank on there website for about $55.

robgendreau

Explorer
Coleman had a "green key" to make 1 lb cylinders recyclable, but couldn't get buy-in and the program failed. Too bad. I noticed that Death Valley (I think) had a recycling bin for them, but who knows what they actually did with 'em.

I've got an 11lb tank, and even at that size some refillers have charged me a per tank fee, so it's still much more expensive than the 15 or 20 lb tanks and a refill. Even the cost of the tanks drops at that size; WalMart sells a 20 lb tank for I think $30. But if I had any room at all, and was concerned about recycling and cost, I'd go with a swap out tank. They are all over, often in places without refillers (I expect that aside from RV refillers they are taking over the portable tank refill market). And often available 24/7 at some convenience stores, gas stations, etc, at least in the US. Super convenient, although sometimes a bit more than manual refills depending on the refiller. I'd also check a local welding gas supplier; some have swaps for smaller tank sizes.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Just get a 5lbs (or 10lbs if you have the room for it) tank you'll thank yourself everytime you use it. I've tried refilling those 1lb bottles but it's a pain. To get the most out of them I had to put them in the fridge and the filling tank in the sun for 15-20mins. This allowed more room in the little bottle and more pressure in the big tank. Worked well for use with a tent heater or a portable grill but when I got a propane firepit I found the little 1lb bottles freeze up easily when used outside and sitting on the ground, they also don't last that long. I hawed and hummed about how the 5lbs bottles were twice the price of the 20lbs bottles but ultimately against my principles I bought one and never have to think about it again. Well...I still have to figure out how to securely carry one on my roof rack, for now I'm using a ratchet strap. The one I got is a Manchester 5lbs tank purchased thought Amazon (Ace Hardware has them too, online).

highdesertranger

Adventurer
while you can refill the 1lb bottles. it is illegal to transport them once they have been refilled. dot regs. surprised nobody mention this. highdesertranger

The 1 pound disposable tanks are not designed for the stress that pressurizing, filling it, and depressurizing, emptying it, creates. The metal is thinner and can fail from these repeated cycles.

Where does this misinformation come from? Jesus the metal is steel and steel doesn't weaken like this. What you said would be true if they were aluminium but they are not, so that repeated stressing isn't a concern.

And to the guy that cautioned about overfilling. Your points are all valid but you can get a proper fill by weight, which also ensures you maintain the proper fill ratio. The 1lb bottle have 1lb of propane thus is you weight the bottle when empty, then reweigh after you fill you can determine if you over charged the bottle. In all the time I've been doing it I've only been able to overfill a couple times and then only by a few ounces which can't intrude a significant amount into the 80% rule.

OP Sorry your thread turned into a 1lb refill debate :(

As for refilling that 4lb from a 20lb I'd sure try it via a gravity feed.

ab1985

Explorer
I like my 5 lb tank. Like someone else said, the initial price is tough to swallow. But for capacity, size, and price-to-fill it's the right tank for me. You can modify a fire extinguisher bracket inexpensively to mount one on a vehicle or trailer:

2011-10-12_15-02-22_721-1.jpg

SmoothLC

Explorer
Thanks for pointing out the new Manchester tank OP.

5 lb. fits well up top using the Front Runner mount.

Haven't tried DIY refilling though since Cal-Ranch is a short distance away.

1999-land-cruiser-with-rack-jpg.829110

Jay H

servicedriven.org
I like my 5 pound tank a lot. Uhaul is a great place to buy propane. Lots of locations. No minimum nonsense and they just charge the going rate. A the larger stores they have a handheld credit card reader and you never even have to go inside. They also are competent and check dates and use a scale ect.

Once at a gas station in Fredonia Arizona I saw my over fill prevention device in the tank work, it was alarming to say the least. I think that guy would still be trying to pump 5 gallons in there if I hadn't told him to stop.

Sure is a shame those cool fiberglass tanks have been recalled, I was all set to buy one.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Sure is a shame those cool fiberglass tanks have been recalled, I was all set to buy one.

I don't think they were all recalled - just the US made version - there is one called Ragasco that is made in Norway that wasn't recalled... might have a hard time getting it filled perhaps though...

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I like my 5 pound tank a lot. Uhaul is a great place to buy propane. Lots of locations. No minimum nonsense and they just charge the going rate. A the larger stores they have a handheld credit card reader and you never even have to go inside. They also are competent and check dates and use a scale ect.

Thanks for pointing out the new Manchester tank OP.

5 lb. fits well up top using the Front Runner mount.

Haven't tried DIY refilling though since Cal-Ranch is a short distance away.

1999-land-cruiser-with-rack-jpg.829110

Since we're ordering an LP gas campfire, we'll need a bigger tank, and it seems I can get an adapter that will let me use the large tank even on our little camp stove, so that's the way we'll go.

So for those of you with the 5lb tanks, how long are they lasting you?

Reason I ask is that I'm going back and forth between a 5lb or a 10lb tank for our teardrop trailer. I think I could mount either one to the tongue. The 5lb tanks are cute and compact, but I just don't want to get a 5lb and then kick myself later because I'm going through gas too fast between the propane campfire and the grille (that's all we would be using it for - I have white gas lanterns and of course we have electric lights, too.) It also seems like the price difference between a 5lb and a 10lb tank favors the 10lb (that is, the 10lb tank has twice as much gas but only costs a little more to buy.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles