Smallest refillable propane bottle?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So here's my issue: We have a 2 burner propane stove we use to camp with, especially with Bubbles (our teardrop, see my sig.) But I hate the idea of using and throwing away the 1lb disposable propane cylinders for a couple of reasons: First, they're expensive for how much fuel you get. Second, it seems like I'm always throwing them away before they're completely empty because I don't want to run out of fuel halfway through cooking, and third because I don't like the idea of dumping them into a landfill.

So my question for the group is this: Where can I get a small, refillable propane cylinder? Doesn't have to be 1lb but it should be small enough that I can carry it with my camping gear.

Incidentally, I know someone's going to say "you can refill those disposable cylinders", yes, I know you can. However, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that is designed to be refilled multiple times, preferably something I can refill from my 20lb propane cylinder on my barbecue grill at home.

Anyway, I found this:

http://www.mantank.com/green/refillable.htm

But surely they can't be the only ones making small propane bottles, can they? I have done multiple Google searches and have yet to find anything smaller than 5lb bottles.

Thanks in advance!

EDITED TO ADD: Ok, I guess my Google-**** was weak. I just found this:

http://stores.ebay.com/Flame-King-C...9314015&_sid=1182848655&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Unfortunately, the web site is not terribly user-friendly. Seems like I can buy the whole kit (which comes with 2, 1lb bottles) for $200 or I can buy the refill adapter for $30? I don't see any place where they sell just the cylinders, though. I'm not sure why I'd need a new 20lb "fill" bottle unless there's something unique or proprietary about their 20lb bottles. Has anyone here used one of these?

Last edited:
I noticed you bolded refillable. So I'm assuming youre not interested in refilling the 1lb bottles then? Because they are technically refillable.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I have a 1.5gal that we use when we camp out of the Jeep and its is great, 3-4 days and have never ran out. The only down side the bottle was $80.00

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a 1.5gal that we use when we camp out of the Jeep and its is great, 3-4 days and have never ran out. The only down side the bottle was $80.00

Where did you get it? Do you have a link? And are you able to fill it yourself from a 20lb tank?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Lots of them out there - here is the one I like, available from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-299494-Aluminum-Cylinder-Prevention/dp/B004FPZABK

61EO0ANhIZL._SL1500_.jpg

The long and skinny shape allows so interesting mounting and makes it easier to check the level on it temperature.

Lots of others in steel and shorter/wider sizes.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
After looking around some more, it seems like I can get a 5 gallon propane bottle fairly cheap. If we mount the bottle onto the tongue of our trailer (probably can bolt the carrier to the tonge box and have the weight resting on the tongue) that would probably work out better, especially since we're planning on getting a propane fire ring anyway.

Thanks for all the input!

For my solo travels I may try the refill-the-disposable-canister method. I'm just leery of that since those canisters do not have an overfill prevention device, so you have to be very careful when filling them not to overfill them.

Refillable bottles all have OPD's as far as I know.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I thought I checked for you making a statement like that BEFORE I posted :(

the-simpsons-d-oh-mini-posters-71133.jpg

Heres a 1 gallon (4pound) pretty cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-28...opane+cylinder

Yeah, we'll probably end up with something like that.

Dumb question - Can you refill a small bottle like that from a bigger one? I just don't neccessarily want to have to haul a 4 or 5 pound bottle down to the RV shop (U-Haul is probably the closest to me) if I can refill it or top it off from the 20 gallon bottle I keep for the BBQ grille.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Where did you get it? Do you have a link? And are you able to fill it yourself from a 20lb tank?

I have it filled at my RV center because there is no Minimum. This is the one I have and it's only $56.00 on Amazon
Manchester Tank 10054 5# ACME/OPD Vertical LP Tank

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Yeah, we'll probably end up with something like that.

Dumb question - Can you refill a small bottle like that from a bigger one? I just don't necessarily want to have to haul a 4 or 5 pound bottle down to the RV shop (U-Haul is probably the closest to me) if I can refill it or top it off from the 20 gallon bottle I keep for the BBQ grille.

With the proper fittings on the hose ends yes you can. It is all about pressure balancing tho. So you will never get it completely full because the 20 lb tank is going to loose pressure as you fill the smaller one. You don't need to worry about over pressure doing the refill the way you are wanting because the pressure in the 20 lb bottle will never we over the max.
The only way to get your small bottle completely pressurized is have a shop do it so they use an electric pump to increase the pressure above what their tank has.
You can help the situation by warming the 20 lg tank in the sun and freezing the smaller bottle in the freezer...this will allow you to get more in the small bottle....how much more I am not sure but are are effectively increasing the pressure differential between the two bottles.

Darrell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior