My M100 refurbish

Workhorse

Observer
IMAG0113.jpgIMAG0120.jpgIMAG0123.jpg

Here are a few photos of my M100 as I took it apart and readied it for bead blast. I used quite a little bit of PB Blaster a few days ahead of trying to take apart 62 year old hardware. I tried to document where everything went as I took it apart, putting the hardware into zip lock bags with sharpie writing as to what it was or where it went.

Workhorse

Observer
IMAG0142.jpgIMAG0140.jpgIMAG0141.jpg

I got everything back from bead blast and it turned out pretty well. I proceeded to cut out the floor to replace with tread plate. I had to remove the frame which took some doing as the M100 frames are spot welded (seemingly) every 1-2" together, and stitch welded as well. I took that apart, and cleaned up all mating surfaces then cut and formed the tread plate to fit the inside dimensions of the trailer. Worked pretty well. I spaced out taking photos of the new bed floor just welded in, sorry. I can try take a few at work tomorrow to show the bottom side and the support gusseting we did to help keep rigidity.

Workhorse

Observer
IMAG0147.jpgIMAG0148.jpgIMAG0149.jpg

Here is after powder coat and with some assembly started. I went with a gray mild textured powder over a zinc rich primer. The bolt on parts were all powder coated a high endurance black semi-gloss. I took all of my hardware to my local plating shop to have the old stuff stripped off and then had them re-plate the hardware with yellow zinc plating. They turned out really nice for being as old and (what I thought) kind of beat up. I used the roley cart to start my re-assembly process and keep things off of the shop floor. The tail lights are LED and I will still need to wire everything up. I like it so far.

I will post more as I make more progress on it.

Workhorse

Observer
IMAG0155.jpgIMAG0158.jpgIMAG0159.jpg

I put more together over the weekend including wiring the lights and a Jetconnex flat 4 wire connector after seeing Kidmenn57's on his trailer build. I installed the new shocks and re-attached the e-brake which works extremely well. The wheels are a sight but I didn't want to do too much in relation to blasting and powder coating because I want to install 6-lug spindles to accomodate my Toyota lug pattern but haven't gotten that far. I still need to do some research about bearing numbers etc.

I will install my lid, tent pedestal and brand new Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 this afternoon after work. I am pretty happy with the way it is coming back together and how clean it is after refurbish.

Workhorse

Observer
Thanks 100acre! I appreciate the feedback. I did some work to it after work today and here it is. I re-installed my lid with struts I made previously, then attached the newly made tent pedestal with my brand new tent. I still need to finish a few things, but most of the tough stuff is done which is nice.

IMAG0161.jpg
IMAG0162.jpg
IMAG0164.jpg

scramfan01

Adventurer
Nice M-100

Wow! That thing is really looking good! Great choice on the color. I have an M100 listed on here for sale, if you have a friend that wants one like you have.

Workhorse

Observer
lid light.jpg

I mounted my battery box, attached my wire harness to my battery and we have light in the lid. It doesn't show well in a fully lit room but it is really handy to have in the middle of nowhere pitching camp. I will be adding my roof top tent lighting system (hopefully) after work today. Almost there!

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Gorgeous rebuild! These are made the old fashioned way: way too heavy; way too bomb proof. Can be towed, wheels optional.
I have a DD document on how to incapacitate and demolish the M-100 and not leave it for the Krauts. It is a couple dozen pages of 'put hand grenade here' and 'blow up this' etc. outlining just how tough it really was to dispose of the mighty M-100.
jefe

bonomonster

Adventurer
Can you post pics of those documents?..... That would be very interesting to read and see

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Workhorse

Observer
Thank you Mundo. It has been fun refinishing it. You're correct, these are heavy duty. I cut out of the rear frame spots to put in my tail lights and the steel chewed up drill bits as well as a hole saw bit. Crazy. Nice to know they are so solid though.

I will have more progress to post after this weekend. I'm getting ready to go to Moab for Cruise Moab so have many little last minute projects going on before I go. I will try to post more prior to the trip.

Thanks for the nice compliments.

Ross-

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Well done!

I've been sitting on my m100 still swallowing the price to get it blasted.
How much did you pay?

I'm going the diy route of rust and blast removal, ideally, but you know how many tiny parts there are.
How hard did you have to work to get your lunette out of its collar?

Workhorse

Observer
The bead blasting was sort of spendy, around $325 said n done. That was for everything, after I took it apart. It was worth the effort to disassemble everything and blast it that way. I took it apart and as I did, put hardware and pieces into baggies or boxes and labeled them accordingly.

My lunette came apart easily, unbolt the big nut after pulling the cotter pin and it came right apart. Put all of the stuff into boxes and bags so I didn't forget where it came from.

The overall project is sort of intimidating but once you are elbows deep in the job, it isn't that bad. Hope that helps a little bit.

Ross-

Xrunner

Explorer
Nice trailer Ross!

Where did you have the bead blasting done? Did they blast the axle and leaf springs too?

Workhorse

Observer
I used A-1 Metal Stripping in Golden. John does nice work even though it is a bit spendy.

I did not have them blast the axle or springs, I just did a quickie clean up on them to get ready for Moab. I am still contemplating changing the 5 lug spindles out for a 6 lug (Toyota) conversion. The e-brake works just like new so I would like to keep it if possible. I don't know that I should mess with it...leave it alone or do it. It is in very nice shape even though not restored per se. Might be nice to just keep it stock. If it ain't broke right?

Ross-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94