Trailer Electrical Systems - Post pictures and details of yours

jaxonm

Observer
I have been going through a lot of trailer builds here, as well as on other forums. I love the details that are included around the actual construction of the trailers. Unfortunately there is little to no detail around electrical systems. I would really like to understand how you guys are assembling your systems, what components you are using, and what drove the decisions on these components.

Specifically, these are the areas I am thinking about;
  • Battery Systems
    • Deep Cycle Vs Golf Cart Batteries
    • 6v (in pairs) Vs 12v batteries
    • Wet Cell Vs AGM Vs Gel
  • Charging Sources
    • Shore Power
    • Solar
    • On Board Generator
    • Charge from Tow-Vehicle
  • Inverters
    • Pure Sine Vs Modified Sine
  • Lighting

I am building out 2 separate trailers (one for myself and one for a friend), a small adventure trailer, and a larger Coleman pop-up trailer. Obviously these trailers will have separate needs, but there are some similarities.

My plan on both trailers is to have multiple charging (input) sources. Solar will be the main method for charging the batteries while on location. For those times when the batteries are flat, it's dark or overcast, we will have a small on-board generator to power the system and charge up the batteries. For those rare times when we are in a location where hook-ups are available, and to maintain storage charge while at home, there will be shore power hook-ups. Finally, there will be "charge from vehicle" capability while in tow. So, what charge controllers are being used here? Are multiple controllers required for multiple power sources? It is not clear to me if there are charge controllers on the market that can simplify the installation by handling these multiple sources, with a clean hookup to an inverter and a monitoring panel.

Overall the power needs on both trailers will be fairly light. We will have lighting (LED interior and exterior scene lighting), on board air, ARB (or similar) refrigerator, as well as the ability to charge many devices (cameras, phones, computers, tablets, etc). In addition to all of this, the pop-up trailer will also have a few items that the adventure trailer will not have (additional lighting, additional kitchen equipment, heater, CO2 detector, furnace fan, etc).

For the batteries, I am currently leaning towards 6v golf cart batteries paired in series (for 12v) because of the higher amp-hour ratings. On the adventure trailer I think one pair (in series) would be sufficient. On the pop-up, I am thinking 2 in-series pairs connected in parallel to produce a 12v double Ah rating.

Finally, I would really like to see some schematics (no matter how rough) on how you guys are hooking all this up and photos of your systems.

Thanks!

java

Expedition Leader
Well let me start by saying did you look in the Electrical section?

Then there are a million ways to skin a cat.

Golf cart batteries are the way to go for larger loads, if you have the space can carry the weight. You should really find your daily Ah draw and decide how much battery you need from there.

You will need a solar charger, sized for you panel/panels.

A battery charger for when on Shore/Gen set power.

And they can be plugged directly into the trucks charging system when under tow. A battery combiner should be included so it will keep the starting battery and house batteries separated.

For 99% of 120V things a modified sine wave will be fine.

jaxonm

Observer
Ok, maybe I'm a tad touched, but there is an electrical section?

Having trouble locating it, mind pointing me over?

java

Expedition Leader
That's the one, Sorry if that came off harsh. Calculate your load to start. Just rough guesses.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
This is a good start..

Its always been my go to...read all the parts if you really want to get handle on where you want to go.
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

I used 2-6v. So far plenty of power. I used an Iota 45 amp converter...lots of USB and 12v plugs both inside and out. I had an old large alarm panel lying around. The 120v is a separate system but shares the same box.

I'm not good at drawing those electrical schematics.... just add lots of switches and LEDs.

The panel..

cwm

Observer
Some general comments.

Gel batteries are not a good choice. They have several things that make them a poor choice for RV type use.

Wet cell or AGM. For the "adventure trailer" AGM might be a better choice. Hard bumpy use, washboard roads, more severe angles can cause wet cells to loose the water/acid in the battery. I went to AGM in a FJ-40 Landcruiser after a wet cell sprayed the engine compartment.

6v vs 12v. While two 6v may give higher capacity if one battery goes bad you have no power. With two 12v just disconnect the bad battery and you still have power.

Wet cells require more maintenance, need proper venting vs AGM but they are cheaper.

grogie

Like to Camp
Well I'm new to having a trailer and being able to power anything... But...

Battery in trailer: Optima Blue Top 12v, with isolator and manual cut off battery switch (as backup)
Charge: trickle charges off of TV
800 watt inverter

I'm not so much sure what I'm doing for power, but it would be nice to power a mattress pad warmer for one (I say that after a recent cold night in the RTT!). So far I've only used it to charge camera/iPhone batteries and to power a MacBook.

Matt

Adventurer
Nothing too crazy on my trailer. Optima battery is charged by the tow rig while driving and I also have a shore charger hooked up.
I have a marine grade switch panel cut into the side of the box. I have them feeding LED's mounted under the lid and a couple under the trailer. I plan to add a water tank and 12v pump sometime.

IMG_0499_zpsbf97d201.jpg

IMG_0503_zps31b43088.jpg

jays0n

Adventurer
Here is my electrical box before I ran the 2ga for the batteries, breaker and shut offs.

Charge inlet for the house charger

100w retractable solar panel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94