New-ish guy sayin' hello.

philos

Explorer
Got some more of the sound dampening done. I'm taking a slight detour before I finish the dampening because I may be taking a little surfari soon...
tesyvyve.jpg
3uhety8u.jpg

aqeza8yn.jpg

...so I started building some racks to hold surfboards. I want them inside for security and stealth-ocity. I'll likely build a roof platform in the future too...
Anyway, here's my great idea!
madunyve.jpg

One inch, thick-wall tube. Rolled a bit to get the roofline matched more closely. Brackets at ends. I'm waiting on nutserts/rivet nuts to show up before I can bolt it all up....
dejasaza.jpg

The nice thing about using 1" is that it matches up with Yakima stuff. I can hang snowboards now too! My passengers might get melting snow on their brows, but hey!
udu3edy8.jpg

Had some time to make another table too (my newest hobby, in addition to being a working artist...)
ezupygem.jpg

Happy Independence day folks! Stay safe :)

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Oh yeah, if the bars are sturdy enough I'd like to use them as anchor points for a hammock or sleeping platform...

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Got my surfboard racks bolted up after a battle with 24 rivet nuts! We're in the middle of moving and I don't remember which box has my rivet setter, so I did all 24 with a 1/4-20 bolt and a drilled-out nut. Good times!
Anyway, the racks are up and will stay that way for a few weeks before I can get them painted. I'll put some padding on there in a couple days. I can support my scrawny butt on one bar, so I think I'll be able to use the bars as an anchor for a sleeping platform in the future...
Pics in no real order :)
9y8a4e5u.jpg

7y5aqu3a.jpg

Oh yeah, I broke down and bought the $100 take-out carpet on eBay. Fit like a charm, thanks BK!
2ubavu6a.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
even with padding on those bars it looks like they're gonna give you a headache one day... When you walk into 'em.
even on my high top that I still bump my head off the ceiling quite a few times, even more so on the standard roofs :eek:uch:
Good luck

philos

Explorer
even with padding on those bars it looks like they're gonna give you a headache one day... When you walk into 'em.
even on my high top that I still bump my head off the ceiling quite a few times, even more so on the standard roofs :eek:uch:
Good luck

Yeah, I'm waiting on the day :D Small price to pay I guess.

philos

Explorer
While waiting on the big brown truck to bring my AC condenser, I started building frames for my wheel well boxes. The passenger side will hold an ABS tank that holds 12 gallons. I'll be able to mount the pump underneath the tank I think. The rest of that side will have something related to the future third battery and an inverter. Probably room left for storage of some sort. I'll get to the driver's side at some point, I'll likely finish one side at a time...
Pics:
7a3ugeta.jpg

y3a5aha7.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Today was less than productive. Today was also less than joyful... The solenoid block/pack in the transmission is unhappy. Hard shift from 2-3 and HARD shifting from 3-4... No codes either, but the OD light started flashing around lunchtime. Got her into another shop...it's only money. Should be ready to roll (if this works) in a couple days. THEN I can start working on fixing the AC. And then I can install my water tank/pump!
Good times.

Sent via flux capacitor

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
Sorry to hear....hopefully something simple. Better days ahead for sure!

Eventually, I'll run out of stuff to replace. Eventually.
I'm pretty used to it by now; I'm 40, and every single vehicle I've ever owned has had problem after problem... Even new vehicles. I don't even fight it or get mad anymore, it's part of me.
:)

philos

Explorer
....and less than 24 hours later I get a call that she's shifting fine and ready for pickup with a new Motorcraft solenoid block and temp sensor! Fast service, WOOT!

philos

Explorer
Got a nice early-ish start to replacing most of my A/C components this am. Got to removing the batteries when I noticed that the accumulator I bought a month ago on fleabay is the wrong part... So no A/C work today!
Instead I made some headway on my water system. Got the frame done, made certain my tank won't flop about, ran a fuse box off the second battery, ran a switch and some plumbing, and hey-presto! I have a decent cold shower/drinking water/dog wash wherever I roam now!
12 gallons, plus the jugs I normally carry should provide some long trips in the empty places left in the world... or it'll probably just be great to have a rinse after a nice salty surf session! Woot!!!
I still need to plumb a vent line (ran out of fittings!) and get some plywood to cover the frame, but it's functional...
Got a start on the driver's side box too...
Pics in no real order ;)
y4u7u9yr.jpg

7y5u2y8e.jpg

y8ahuby4.jpg

4aqa7unu.jpg

jaby2ehe.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Also, if anyone has a clever idea to finish the top of the tank so it's secure, but still accessible to fill/service/etc... I'm listening!

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles