4x8 vs 5x8 trailer

Wildcat

Adventurer
After driving across town several times and looking at other peoples junk, i have decided to just buy a new trailer. Local trailer place has new 4x8 and 5x8 for $575 & $595 respectively. They are painted steel with 15" wheels. Painted 2x8 flooring. Lights, jack, ready to roll. I really like the 4' better (stores a tad easier in my side yard) but my Dad is advising that the $20 would be well spent on the 5'. I currently have a 2nd gen 4runner, but future vehicle will be 1st gen tundra or 10th gen f150. Trailer will be used for general home duties and camping. No rock crawling.

Will the 4' be lighter, easier to pull or track better?

Help me decide.

Thanks

bonomonster

Adventurer
If your leaving as is and basically gonna use as a pickup bed, go with the 5x8...... If your looking for something to track behind the tow vehicle and plan to work it up, go with the 4x8

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I agree.. The 4x8 will track almost identically to the 4Runner shown in your signature and is much better if you're taking it on trails or places that aren't paved. However, as a person that uses a 4x8 utility trailer for weekend household chores (I have another trailer for camping and other off-road stuff), I can't wait until I break it so I can go with a slightly bigger 5x10 trailer. As with everything, it all depends on how you're going to use it. If it was for everything, I'd probably go with the larger.

Don

-

Xbcasey

Adventurer
If you plan to use it for utility/chores go with the 5x8, especially if you plan to upgrade to a larger vehicle in the future. I used to have a 4x8 and hauling plywood home from the hardware store was the most frustrating thing ever. If you got the plywood to lay down flat on the floor, you had to use a pry bar to get it back up! I now have a 4x6 for camping/offroad behind my jeep and a 6x10 for utility work, it is quite a bit wider than my jeep but is only used on the road so it's not a problem.

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
If you take a few minutes and build an A frame lumber rack in the 4x8 it would haul plywood and lumber no provlem.

Sent using Tapatalk

Joe917

Explorer
Go 5x8. They will tow the same. I have a 5x8 with 15" wheels perfect for general use. One thing to look at if you ever intend to haul mdf sheets they are 97"x49". a trailer slightly larger than 8' is perfect. For me I would also want a 3500lb axle not the typical 2000lb.
That price is great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke