Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KLR 650 Questions

Yes, I know this is an older post I'm replying to. But others asking the same question will be reading as well. I have a 2011 KLR. To answer your first question, the KLR will handle 70 MPH all day no problem. Second question, altitude. I've only ridden mine from 0-5,000 feet but have experienced no problems. Third question. 10,000 miles is low (only broke in) unless the bike was poorly maintained. A few thoughts of mine...... Off road the KLR is a good trail and dirt road bike. But too heavy for deep sand or super tight turns in rough terrain. You can't muscle it like a dirt bike. On the paved highway only one thing scares me on my KLR, and that's the wind. It's a tall bike for the pavement and side winds affect it more than street bikes. It also doesn't have the weight of street bikes so you have to deal with the wind more. When it's really windy, (45 MPH plus) I don't do the pavement if it's a long ride. I wait for the wind to die. Bottom line, especially considering price, in my opinion it's the best all purpose bike ever made. Which also means it's not very good at either the street or the dirt. But it is the very best compromise I've ever ridden..

Quote Originally Posted by meadviewken View Post
    . Second question, altitude. I've only ridden mine from 0-5,000 feet but have experienced no problems. ..
    When I was in Ecuador, I was on a very well used, but nicely maintained KLR with 40,000 miles of rental service on the clock. At least half a dozen times we rode over passes topping 13,000 feet and one 14,000 foot pass. I'll admit, the old KLR putzed along getting there, but it did it. It didn't particularly like it, and there were times I was crawling along, but that's pretty high. There's only a few places in the US where you can get over 12,000 feet.
    Bicycles rule.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123