FNG -- inspired to get an M101

dkmatthews

I had an itch to find a milsurp trailer for the last couple of years and found this forum through my 'net searches to learn more about these trailers. So, I've been lurking and readying but haven't posted here, until today. I've been really inspired by many of the projects on display, here! You guys have some amazing talents and skills to do these things yourself!

A couple of months ago, I finally worked out a trade with a buddy to acquire an M101A2. Now, I just have to figure out where my priorities are for the trailer project. For example, these are some of my plans/wishes:
  • Should I convert the trailer to match the hubs of my Dodge or if I should convert the Dodge to match the hubs on the trailer?
  • Should I follow Mr. Harley's lead in removing the brake system from the trailer entirely or converting it to electric brakes?
  • Should I put preserving/repainting the chassis & tub as a higher priority?
  • Is there any point in preserving the military trailer connector or should I just cut it off and change it to a standard civilian market connector?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
20140217_135852.jpg
20140217_135835.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice score!
I would focus on what you plan to do with the trailer. Full Expo, Excursion camper or just a support trailer with a couple cots under the cover?
As for the surge brakes if they work keep them. Mine did not so it made the removal decision easy. Lost some weight on the tongue but as you add stuff on the weight comes back.
Changing the bolt pattern to match your RAM? Get an extra 8 bolt GM wheel and hang it under the trailer and you have a spare. No need to change for now.

So many choices on how you can build the trailer up on these pages. Great members and even Better ideas.
Welcome to the trailer family!

Post up your build as you go!

dkmatthews

Mark, thanks for your reply post!

A support trailer seems about right, especially since my boys are in cub scouts and the pack doesn't have their own trailer. It will probably get a propane bottle. The side-mounted receiver hitch for accessories (kitchen work area or whatnot) seems smart. A solar panel, charge controller, AGM battery & a power inverter might be a good addition, too.

Somewhere down the line, it wouldn't surprise me if the ladies of the family were to insist on a fresh water tank and tankless heater.

I personally would keep the lunette/pintle hitch setup as its better for off road excursions and it keeps the originality of the trailer. I used to have 3 M101A2's and a couple of M116a2's as well. If you ever find yourself at a military vehicle rally one can find new 10 ply tires and replacement rims for cheap. I've slept many a night in my 101's if you can find a bug net big enough to cover it under the tarp or some truck tops fit them as well so you could always attach kayak/canoe racks I've even seen one with a roof top tent on it. Possibilities are endless. The tires and rims are the same as the full size military Chevy pickup the M1008. Good luck!

dkmatthews

... If you ever find yourself at a military vehicle rally one can find new 10 ply tires and replacement rims for cheap...

100acrehuphalump -- where does one find military vehicle rallies? I'm not too far from you to the east, so maybe we could even meet up at one of these events?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Just search craigslist for 8 bolt GM rims they are an 8 on 6.5 pattern.
Dodge and Ford fit too but have a larger hub hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier