Fridge/Freezer in a pickup bed?

Lumpy70

Observer
I am purchasing a Tacoma in a few months and wondering what folks are doing store their fridge/freezers in the bed of the pickup? I won't have a tonneau cover or a canopy but would like something to make it weather-resistant and to look less desirable to potential thieves in an open pickup bed.

I am thinking of some sort of enclosure such as the two mock-ups below, but here's the catch, I would like it made out of some sort of UV resistant plastic.

Fridge Box Slide.jpg

I don't like wood exposed like that all day long, even with rhino-lining or similar products. I could get something manufactured out of aluminum, but that would be a bit spendy. So what/how are folks making things out of plastics? I was thinking of some 1/4" UHMW or something like that. Youtube has tonnes of videos on plastic welding....

Thoughts?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
UHMW is really dense - remember that stands for Ultra-High Molecular Weight, so it'd be heavy. There are any number of ABS-type materials (Kydex being the sexy name brand version) that would be adequate from a cover/weather-proofing standpoint.

The bigger issue is mounting and strength. As you've drawn it, you've got slides attached to the "shell", which means the shell would have to be pretty stout. Consider redesigning so the slide attaches the load to the bed, and the cover can be MUCH lighter weight, just enough to keep prying eyes and hands out of it and keep the weather off.

TiFJ

Observer
I would suggest mounting it in the truck rather than outside. This will allow it to stay cleaner, it won't run as hard (assuming you are running A/C), potentially within reach of a passenger so that you don't have to stop to get a drink etc. on the highway, fewer security issues, no weatherproofing concerns etc.

Having access to the fridge while on the highway makes road trips much more enjoyable IMO and I think it's probably easier to secure and weatherproof other cargo in the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94