Roam About with "Big Hank"

umpqua

Observer
I'm on a roll now! Another update ----

http://nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/2016/04/deeper-into-baja-part-6.html

i-8CWqPZ3-L.jpg

Ha....saw this photo and thought to myself that it sure looks like a place that I've camped in Agua Verde. I'll be damned. You have mighty fine taste in camp spots.....I haven't found a better one in Baja...yet.

Thank you!

BigBamBoo

Observer
Just cruising through your post..GREAT stuff...and saw your pictures from Crested Butte. And to my surprise...you took a picture of my brother in laws shop. The Sea Level Spa. He sells air....oxygen bar and hyperbaric treatment.

Small world for sure.

Stay safe and kee up the posts.

Last edited:

FIELDZY

Hi Park,

Still following along from Australia mate, after being inspired by yourself and others on this site my partner and I spent 8 months road tripping around the states last year but as yet haven't documented any of it online. Have quite a catalogue of photos and kept a journal to remember it all, will get around to it soon hopefully.

We spent a fair bit of time in Kentucky and Tennessee and loved the Smoky Mountains and we did quite a few hikes. Our favourite was the Ramsay Cascades Trail, We saw lots of wildlife on the 8 mile hike including a Black Bear Sow and her 2 cubs. It was our first bear sighting on the trip. Looking forward to seeing what other hikes and wildlife sightings you come across on your next post.

Safe Travels

Adam

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Just cruising through your post..GREAT stuff...and saw your pictures from Crested Butte. And to my surprise...you took a picture of my brother in laws shop. The Sea Level Spa. He sells air....oxygen bar and hyperbaric treatment.

Small world for sure.

Stay safe and kee up the posts.

Hi Park,

Still following along from Australia mate, after being inspired by yourself and others on this site my partner and I spent 8 months road tripping around the states last year but as yet haven't documented any of it online. Have quite a catalogue of photos and kept a journal to remember it all, will get around to it soon hopefully.

We spent a fair bit of time in Kentucky and Tennessee and loved the Smoky Mountains and we did quite a few hikes. Our favourite was the Ramsay Cascades Trail, We saw lots of wildlife on the 8 mile hike including a Black Bear Sow and her 2 cubs. It was our first bear sighting on the trip. Looking forward to seeing what other hikes and wildlife sightings you come across on your next post.

Safe Travels

Adam

Thanks guys. Glad someone is getting something out of it. I've got an update to the blogsite as soon as I get off my lazy *** and post it. Lots of these guys!
TotTiffSmokeyMtnBearCub%20%283%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
I have experienced the "you're not from these here parts vibe" fishing,even had my tires aired down to 10lbs. I have met a few that probably met their spouse at a family reunion.

Gravel Slinger

Observer
Thanks for the update, still following along!

I would like to address the remote areas & bad vibes ... I live in a remote area & sometimes people I see wandering around (not just passing through) gives me a bad vibe. Yes, I'm one of those people that will stop & ask you "Hey what's up?" or "Can I help you find somebody?". Just consider it "neighborhood watch" :REOutShootinghunter as these days, there seems to be an increase in property being stolen & such. If the bad guy knows someone is watching they'll usually pick an easier target. Good guys are usually open to talking. Just an idea, but maybe you could get some business cards made up with a link to your blog to ease the minds of us curious, remote type folks :). Bad vibes can be a good thing ... makes you more observant ... no matter which end your on!

unkamonkey

Explorer
I don't get much of a bad vibe from people out there anywhere but I am considerably larger than them and speak well. I do look like a Hells Angel member even if I sold all of my bikes years ago.
We were out in the Pawnee National Grassland a few years back and Ma Nature called so we were stopped outside of a missle silo to do what needed to be done. A rancher pulled up to see if we were military. We had to pile in his pickup and share beers as he went out to show us his cows and the Kit Foxes out there. I talked to him for a bit to find out he was a cousin of a friend of mine.
I have more trouble with townsfolk.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Thanks for the update, still following along!

I would like to address the remote areas & bad vibes ... I live in a remote area & sometimes people I see wandering around (not just passing through) gives me a bad vibe. Yes, I'm one of those people that will stop & ask you "Hey what's up?" or "Can I help you find somebody?". Just consider it "neighborhood watch" :REOutShootinghunter as these days, there seems to be an increase in property being stolen & such. If the bad guy knows someone is watching they'll usually pick an easier target. Good guys are usually open to talking. Just an idea, but maybe you could get some business cards made up with a link to your blog to ease the minds of us curious, remote type folks :). Bad vibes can be a good thing ... makes you more observant ... no matter which end your on!

Concur and I do have cards made up. Trust me, this guy was not interested in anything I had to say and something tells me he's not one to do much on the internet. I certainly understand a local approaching someone to put out feelers if they're up to no good. Not sure what "up to no good" I could be looking for in a cemetery walking around with a camera in hand. I was very friendly to him, told him what I was out doing and my rig was sitting right there. I don't think, or hope I didn't, come across as someone up to no good. I don't know if maybe I just had a bad few days up in those hills but I'm not exaggerating when I say that people were just not friendly. I've been all over this country and have never gotten the vibes that I encountered there. I think maybe I got a little too far off the beaten path in that neck of the woods! Not to stereotype but I expected to start hearing the theme song from Deliverance any minute. I've had some great encounters with strangers over the years and is one of the reasons I really like to just roam around never knowing who you're going to meet. The people that I've met over the years have been the highlights of my travels. I don't know, maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned it in the blog, but it was just kind of weird. Like I said, I'd never encountered it before.

UHAULER

Explorer
Concur and I do have cards made up. Trust me, this guy was not interested in anything I had to say and something tells me he's not one to do much on the internet. I certainly understand a local approaching someone to put out feelers if they're up to no good. Not sure what "up to no good" I could be looking for in a cemetery walking around with a camera in hand. I was very friendly to him, told him what I was out doing and my rig was sitting right there. I don't think, or hope I didn't, come across as someone up to no good. I don't know if maybe I just had a bad few days up in those hills but I'm not exaggerating when I say that people were just not friendly. I've been all over this country and have never gotten the vibes that I encountered there. I think maybe I got a little too far off the beaten path in that neck of the woods! Not to stereotype but I expected to start hearing the theme song from Deliverance any minute. I've had some great encounters with strangers over the years and is one of the reasons I really like to just roam around never knowing who you're going to meet. The people that I've met over the years have been the highlights of my travels. I don't know, maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned it in the blog, but it was just kind of weird. Like I said, I'd never encountered it before.

Maybe he thought you were a private investigator and he was afraid you might uncover his secrets in the cemetery. My wife likes those I.D. type shows and I end up watching:Wow1:

Texas Aggie

Observer
Thanks for the update. The black bear cubs may have lacked the excitement of the grizzlies, but they'd be hard to top on the "cute" scale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles