Toroweap Rendezvous

bearman512

Adventurer
Thanks jonnyquest in April they did announce a permit was require and includes a $10 non-refundable. Man I am tired of our government sticking things in our arses.
Further discussion is required but as it stands I did not fight for this country just to have to pay a price to see public funded land just because they want to preserve it for our grandkids. "Who's Grandkids" Folks it won't be long and we will not have any place to go other than large paved campgrounds end rant.

Any recommendations would be accepted.

BEAR

Grand Canyon National Park to Require Camping Permit at Tuweep Campground

Date: April 30, 2014

Grand Canyon, AZ – Grand Canyon National Park on September 1, 2014 will begin requiring reservations for all campers who wish to stay at the Tuweep Campground. After September 1, visitors who plan to camp at Tuweep will need to have a permit issued by the National Park Service.

Campers may begin making reservations on May 1, 2014 for dates on or after September 1. Reservations can be made on the first of the month four months prior to the proposed start date and will be accepted through the park's backcountry reservation system. A non-refundable fee of $10 per permit plus a $5 per group per night fee is required to obtain a permit. For more information about the permit process or to make a reservation, please visit http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/backcountry-permit.htm. Visitors may also be able to obtain a walk-up permit, up to six days in advance and based on availability, by visiting Pipe Spring National Monument in Fredonia, AZ or at the St. George Public Lands Visitor Center in St. George, UT.

Currently the park only requires a permit for parties using the large group campsite; the family sites are available on a first-come first-served basis. The campground has ten campsites; nine family campsites that each accommodate two vehicles and six people and one large group campsite that accommodates four vehicles and eleven people.This new permit requirement will apply to all ten campsites and ensure that campers know ahead of time if they have a place to stay or if they need to make alternative arrangements.

The park will also implement a prohibition on fires and charcoal grills effective September 1 in the Tuweep Campground. This change is consistent with other rim-based backcountry areas in the park and will help protect surrounding vegetation. Visitors will still be allowed to use gas stoves in the campground. These two changes will improve visitor services and experiences at Tuweep by allowing visitors to plan ahead and ensurethat they receive the information required for an overnight stay.

Prior to visiting Tuweep, visitors should be aware of the challenges associated with navigating the difficult roadways and lack of visitor services. Grand Canyon National Park preserves the area for an uncrowded, rustic and remote experience; there is no water, gas, lodging, food or cell phone coverage. For more detailed information about visiting Tuweep please visit www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm .

-NPS-

ExpoMike

And on top of the fee, no fires! ****** is the country coming to? I don't mind when the fires need to be in a fire pan or a propane fire but no fires outside of a gas stove. Come on man... what are you supposed to do when it gets dark until time for bed? Sit around an empty fire pit...

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Several years ago I was trying to camp at the North Rim Grand Canyon. Reservations were required and it was booked solid. So I kept checking back and, surprise ONE site opened up. I booked, we went, and there were empty sites everywhere. The only consolidation with this system is at least you know there is a place open for you if you have a reservation. For a disassociated non group, I don't see anyway you can be denied if you have all made separate reservations. Best of luck to you. Remember, despite the BS, it's still a beautiful, beautiful world we live in.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
An alternative

Last week I was at Toroweap with the old farts. Great view but when it is windy a terrible place to camp plus limited space. An alternative, when you are coming south towards Toro and are several miles from Toro turn left on Mt. turnbul road go three miles up the hill turn on Rd 1028 to Napaweap rock art. Great places to camp n the forest. The rock art is good also.

bearman512

Adventurer
Last week I was at Toroweap with the old farts. Great view but when it is windy a terrible place to camp plus limited space. An alternative, when you are coming south towards Toro and are several miles from Toro turn left on Mt. turnbul road go three miles up the hill turn on Rd 1028 to Napaweap rock art. Great places to camp n the forest. The rock art is good also.

Thanks great recommendation!
I'm sorry I was not able to join you folk as I had made plans with Frenchie and had to back out early due to other commitments.

billy bee

Adventurer
The only consolidation with this system is at least you know there is a place open for you if you have a reservation.

That is a comfort to know after driving 60 miles on dusty roads that there will be a site available. But in the past I never worried about that b/c you could camp anywhere on BLM land. Is that still the case? TW is surrounded by BLM land.

bb

jus passin thru

Adventurer
I believe you can camp anywhere on BLM land unless there is a sign saying NO. The place I suggested is forested just about 150 yards after the turn or you can go farther and there are other spots.

bearman512

Adventurer
Keep the recommendations coming.
I think we can do what jus passin thru recommended and find a place near Napaweap rock art.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
On the eastern side of the park along the North Rim is also Buffalo Ranch Road. There are several areas where people can camp right on the rim. There isn't a back drop such as Toroweap but the views are amazing. Thought I had a pic but can't find it.

bearman512

Adventurer
On the eastern side of the park along the North Rim is also Buffalo Ranch Road. There are several areas where people can camp right on the rim. There isn't a back drop such as Toroweap but the views are amazing. Thought I had a pic but can't find it.

Another great recommendation!

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Check out the following on googlemaps:
36.568184,-111.823139
36.519363,-111.863701
36.508601,-111.875117

Look at it on satellite view and then road view. All locations are outside the NP. :camping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior