My 2006 LJOE

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I never did a "build thread" so I will instead call this a "BUILT" thread, even though as with most rigs its an ever evolving work in progress. I originally purchased it in January of 2010 from the original owner. It was bone stock and stayed that way for about 9 months to a year and served me very well but I KNEW that I needed to modify it if I was going to continue to explore the AZ backcountry on my own and expect to make it home safely.

DSC00914.jpg

Here is a list of the mods as it sits today:

SUSPENSION:
Shocks: King remote res. Adjustable (rear) outboarded with genright kit.
Springs: Front OME 933 with ACOS PRO height adjustable hyd. Bump stops
Rear OME 966 rear with Teraflex Speedbumps bump stops.
STEERING:
Teraflex hi steer knuckle and brackets
Swaybar: Treaflex heavy duty adjustable swaybar
Tie rod/drag link: Teraflex HI Steer aluminum
Swaybar: Skyjacker rock lock/unlockable

ARMOR:
Poison Spyder Custom crusher corners with 6” flares
Poison Spyder rocker knockers with side steps
Poison Spyder hood louvre
Poison Spyder trailgate with tramp stamp powdercoated and LINE-X on interior.
Genright front fenders with 6” flares and aluminum inner fender kit
Genright side plate armor.
Genright hood side louvers

BUMPERS: Front: Rampage recovery with stinger, integrated fog lights, winch mount, light tabs and shackle
mounts
Rear: Rampage recovery with custom tire swing out featuring sealed bearings and selectable open lock,
integrated reverse spotlights, 2” hitch mount and shackle mounts.

WHEELS: AEV PINTLER (argent) with full size spare
Tires: BFG KM MT 35x12.5R17
Spacers: Spidertrax 1.5”

ENGINE: Straight 6. Speed Manual. Replaced ECU May 2013
Intake: AEM Cold Air
Starter: Mean Green
Alternator: Mean Green 220A
New ECU

DRIVETRAIN: Axles: Front-DANA 30 with Superior Super 30 chromolly 30 spline axles 4.88 gears ARB locker,
Trail Defense diff cover (stronger than a stock Rubicon HANDS DOWN!)
Rear- DANA 44 with Superior chromolly axles 4.88 gears ARB locker, Trail Defense Diff cover.
Transfer case: NP231 with Teraflex Super Short Shaft SYE kit with electronic speedometer pick-up.
Driveshafts: Front and rear Tatton's custom driveshafts. Stock front spare

RECOVERY: Winch: Smittybilt SRC-8 with synthetic line
Jack: Hi Lift Extreme 40”
Pull-Pal: 11,000 lb
Clevis: 4 Total 2 front, 2 rear hooks on front bumper
Sand Ladders: 48” Aluminum OK Offroad dual purposed for roof storage.

INTERIOR: Seats: Smittybilt SRC suspension seats. Fold and tumble
Security: Tuffy center console with subwoofer enclosure
Mats: Weathertech waterproof in front.
Stereo: Tuffy stereo in-dash mount.
Head unit: Sony AM/FM/CD Bluetooth iPod Mount
Speakers: Infinity kappa front/rear. Kicker Subwoffer
Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate
Cargo area: LINE-X coated

ELECTRICAL: Battery: (2) Optima Yellow Top
Dual Battery System: IBS with Intelligent solenoid
Dual Blue Sea USB mounted in center console
2 Blue Sea 12V power outlets on rear battery

OBA: Extremeaire Magnum Compressor
VIAIR 5 gal tank and OBA kit. In dash gauge
Front and rear air chucks

LIGHTING: Headlights- Rampage H4 Upgraded
Bumper lights: Front and rear Rampage bumper lights
Aux lighting: Rigid 10' winch mounted light
Right Dually difused rear spot lights
Rigid 10" amber dual row
4 custom powdercoated PIAA 520's

OVERLAND SETUP: Fuel: Genright 31.5 Gal Safari tank with armor.
(4) 2 gallon rotopax gas cans can be intrenally mounted on the Baja Bins or on the Rebel off Road spare tire mount
RACK: Body Armor full cage kit
RTT: Eezi-Awn Series 3 1600 T-Top, Ladder extension, New Cover and Mattress cover
AWNINGS: Eezi Awn 2000 series 2M and Spoyla with side walls on the rear. I also have a 2M Hannibal
STOVE: Partner Steel 3 BURNER!!
PROPANE: AT 10 gal tank mount
HOUSE BATTERY: OPTIMA Yellow top with 2 blue sea outlets custom billet LINE-X coated mount
DRAWER SYSTEM: Adventure Trailers Composite Dual drawer (one off) on custom built subfloor; 3'4”
MDF with LINE-X coating.
STORAGE: (4) 8 GAL Action Packers with SWAG OFFROAD Baja Bin exo-skeletons
FRIDGE: Engel 45 with transit bag. TWO ZONE with cover. Transit slide lock mount on custom slide out,
hard mount wiring kit, lid lock with spare fuse and dual hanging baskets.
WATER: 5 Gal Jerry can stores inside between the Baja bins and (2) 2 gal Rotopax H2O containers that can be stored
internally or mounted on the Baja Bins or on the Rebel off Road spare tire mount
GENERATOR: Honda Eu 1000i
HEATER: AT PROPEX 2000 Portable heater.

To be continued....

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Let's see some pics of your rig as it sites today. I have seen pics of it on the NC Outerbanks trip, but maybe others here have not. Great looking jeep well built for real use, it seems.

John

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Other than crappy MPG, like a champ!! Its not a drag racer by any means.... but doing 65 on the beaches of Portsmouth Island was literally like driving a caddie on glass, bumps included. When I was in AZ/SoCal 50-70 MPH on washboards was better than driving on pavement. (aired down of course...)
Fully kitted out she's just shy of being a 6000# beast!! :Wow1:

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
That is one incredibly organized and well thought out platform. I am not surprised at the weight though, I knew it would have to be up there.

Just confirming that the rear springs support the weight without any kind of airbag? That is impressive.

Jack

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Yeah she's a bit of a pig. Jeeping it light was the furthest thing from my mind when I embarked on transforming from stocker to ROCKER!! lol Actually I don't do the whole rock crawling thing. Not my thing but since I was always out in the AZ SoCal back country sometimes you have little choice and (as much as I loved it out there) getting home was always a priority for me. The rear springs do the job but I had to add some spacers to level her out.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
The sad part is I haven't outgrown it. Just don't get to use it here like I did when I was stationed in AZ. :(
I'm going to start at $35,000 and see where it goes from there. As you can see there are a ridiculous amount of mods which equates copious amounts of time and money. If you know anyone who might be interested or have any questions, please let me know? Thanks!

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
The sad part is I haven't outgrown it. Just don't get to use it here like I did when I was stationed in AZ. :(
I'm going to start at $30,000 and see where it goes from there. As you can see there are a ridiculous amount of mods which equates copious amounts of time and money. If you know anyone who might be interested or have any questions, please let me know? Thanks!

Damn sure could not find a stock one and build it like you have for that amount. Good luck with your sale.

John

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Damn sure could not find a stock one and build it like you have for that amount. Good luck with your sale.

John

Thanks, John. I couldn't agree with you more!! I've always had people asking me how much I've got into it and I never have an answer because I lost count a LONG time ago. Just doing the rough math on parts alone it gets pretty scary!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan